Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon > Salem
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 AM  

wishing to be back in Oregon, CA
Salems lowdown

Hey all!!
We are going to be moving back to Oregon
We lived in Roseburg and since have traveled to Oklahoma,Texas, and now California

I have family in Salem, Eugene, GO DUCKS! and Florence. So we were searching for the right area ya' know, we thought about Bend as I love the high Desert, but I think that will not work out.

So we are looking around the Salem area, Dallas, etc...
We want an area where there is jobs of course and a GOOD school, We have a 7 year old.

I was reading about "felony Flats" would like to stay away from there! What part of town is that? NE,SE,S....??

We love to fish, hunt, camp, outdoor stuff ya' know. Hate to be in the city, would like more country type living and we would be renting...does anyone else out there rent?? What are the prices like for a 2-3 bedroom in a nice area?

We have only been to Salem while visiting family so any and all info is great!
Many Thanks!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 PM  

Hi Sage,

Welcome back home.

What town in "Felony Flats" in? I've heard of it but don't know....

I live near Dallas and raised my children there. If you are into homeschooling, there are many homeschooled children in the Dallas area so there are plenty of parents to be supportive of you. IMHO, the elementary schools are probably the better of public choices though. Still, as one who has been there (as a parent), I would ALWAYS go to Parent-Teacher meetings and know what they are doing with my child! Even in conservative Dallas, some teachers come up with quirky ideas for the students.

As far as rent goes, it seems high to me, but I really think it is about the same as other places nearby. I've been looking for a country place to rent and prices are around $1,000 tp $1,200 for a three bedroom. What I'm hoping to find is an Intentional-Community like living situation, where multiple families work cooperatively on a farm-like dwelling space. But there is a place on the outskirts of Dallas called Bridlewood that has apartments which are fairly reasonable, if you want to start out there and get to know the neck of woods just west of you (from there).

As for hunting, fishing and camping, there are places all around. Some you have to drive 10-50 miles to get to, but I like to stay close to home. It's just as beautiful here.

You want a job? Well, that is going to depend on what you're into! Jobs are hard to find, although I just heard of someone who got a job in the Carpenter's Union in Salem. He's moving to Falls City and will commute. I was told that was close to miracle because the union is not hiring. Anyway, if you tell me what type of job your looking for, maybe I can give you some thoughts.

All the best to you,

Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I was reading about "felony Flats" would like to stay away from there! What part of town is that? NE,SE,S....??
I sorta know. It's a bit S.E. of the Capitol (Trade was an included street) extending East towards Lancaster Ave. I assume it's a few blocks wide.

I'm in Keizer just N. of Salem. It's about 36,000 living in a bedroom community of Salem. with that many apartments you'll see a range of pricing.

Eugene was my first choice but the &#*@!! kids graduate and work at Radio Shack. I don't blame them. The coast is seasonal and the wind is constant.
Portland is impassable when every accident closes I5 for 4 hours. Vancouver is Appalachia and there is no work in the Gorge. Keizer is a workable compromise.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:27 AM  

Hey thanks for the tid bits on that!
Alright, I am familiar with a bit of Lancaster and that area, good to have a mental of it!
Blucher, we had thought about Eugene as well..they are after all getting a Cabelas! LOL

I am just not sure a "college" town is where I want my daughter raised???
I want to keep her in the country as long as possible, fishing, horses, etc.. before she starts hitting the bars. LOL

Family,
Thank you for the welcome! We cannot wait to get back, been a long time coming.
Good to know about the homeschooling there, we have thought about it before so it's good to know it is alive and well.

Oh yeah I remember jobs being really hard to find, well at least for hubby, when I was in Roseburg I worked for Coastal Farm and Ranch for 2 years, here in CA I work for Tractor Supply, a similar store.
My background is very diverse from office to sales, cashier and customer service, we don't like to have sitters so I always take the evening/weekend kind of jobs.
Hubby does HVAC installs as well he has lots of years in landscaping and maintenance of building/ground/golf courses.

The intentional-community sounds interestting, is there any around?
We were lucky to live like that in CA waaaay back. There was many homes on the property but all had 1/2-1 acre each, plus the landlord lived there, we did jobs to help him out for our rent/part of rent. Plus everyone there had horses and it was great riding.
We miss the horses.
We have thought about looking at Guest Ranches etc. as we have worked on a couple of those as well.
Well the search continues...
Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:59 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
we had thought about Eugene as well..they are after all getting a Cabelas!
You made my day! I had the Hamburg PA Cabelas 20 minutes from home. I could get 9mm reloads cheap in quantity. I'll be delighted having a store within 80 miles.

Quote:
I want to keep her in the country as long as possible, fishing, horses, etc.. before she starts hitting the bars. LOL
grew up country but did college in Milwaukee. Eugene bars are a lot safer than Portland or Seattle. The trick is to give her a good base in making wise decisions. After that you just pray a lot.

"here in CA I work for Tractor Supply, a similar store."

How about a Wilco Farm Store?
SILVERTON WILCO FARM STORE - SILVERTON
734 MC CLAINE ST
SILVERTON, OREGON, 97381
USA
Web: www.wilco.coop
503-873-8318

I know there was a store there less than a year ago but most listings are for Stayton rather than Silverton.
Silverton Retail Store

734 McClaine St
Silverton, OR 97381
Phone: 503-873-8318
Fax: 503-873-3657

Welcome to Silverton Oregon - Gateway to Silver Falls State Park and the Oregon Gardens

The Silverton, Mount Angel area is beautiful high ground with great views of the local snowcones. (see snowcone pic.)
My Doctor is in nearby Mount Angel and the Silverton Hospital was rated one of the top 100 in the country.

"The intentional-community sounds interestting, is there any around?"

International? We have a bit of everything locally. Woodburn to the North of Salem is an outlet center with a Russian-Mexican population. I can't tell the Samoans from the Inuit.
Salems lowdown-wilco.jpg 

Salems lowdown-st_helens_spirit_lake_reflection.jpg 

Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 PM  

Corvallis, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Blucher, we had thought about Eugene as well..they are after all getting a Cabelas! LOL

Look into the area east of Springfield. My uncle lives in Marcola and it is nice. Far enough from town to be country, but close enough to get to shopping.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:32 PM  

Hey Blutcher THANKS for the pics/maps and the info! Will look into those jobs!
Yep Cabelas is suppose to be at the Gateway Mall by the end of this month or April, can't remember for sure.

Morgan, I will sure check that area out as well, we like the country stuff!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:41 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I was in Mt. Angel (near Silverton) last week. Saw a sign for a Wilco Farmers facility N. of Mt. Angel. Not sure what it is but someone has to work there.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM  

Cool will check into it!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon > Salem
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.