Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Diego
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2010, 04:26 PM  

San diego, Ca
I would have to say PHIL'S BBQ in Sports Arena area. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Old 10-04-2010, 11:32 PM  
Beer!

La Mesa, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandwith View Post
I would have to say PHIL'S BBQ in Sports Arena area. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM
now where have I heard that before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
ever been to Phils BBQ? its off of rosecrans- best barbq in SD

Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 AM  

San Diego, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I live in Escondido and was there 4-5 years ago. It must have gotten a lot better since the wife & I were last there, we'll have to check it out again.
If it's been that long, then you haven't even seen the renovations. They added a river in the casual sitting area. My wife and I love this place. We have brought several people here and they all agree, it's amazing.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:39 AM  

Escondido, California
Thanks, we'll check it out.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:35 AM  

San diego, Ca
THai Time in North ParK Go for the lunch specials
Old 10-05-2010, 10:38 PM  

Oceanside, CA
If you're in North County, Enzo's BBQ has some pretty tasty BBQ, especially for the price.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 PM  

Oceanside, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Since you also asked about upscale dining, one of the very best steak & fine dining restaurants in SD has to be Donovan's Steak & Chop house on La Jolla Village Drive in La Jolla. Not the smaller Donovan's in downtown SD which is not nearly as nice.

The wife & I go there a few times a year (it's not cheap!) but wow, the service and the steaks are unsurpassed. They have a great after-dinner cocktail too called a Beam Me Up Scotty which is icy cold in a big martini glass. Dress up a little, no suits or ties are needed but you'd feel a little out of place there wearing Levis and a t-shirt.

You can't go wrong with Donovan's.
Hey Jerry, fancy to see you here! How does Donovan's compare to Ruth's Chris? We're probably going to make our anniversary dinner at Donovan's this year, but we LOVE Ruth's Chris. We were let down when we decided to try Flemmings instead, so we're leery to stray from Ruth's Chris for another mediocre (and overpriced) place.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 AM  

Escondido, California
Hey Mat good to see you here too. Ruth's Chris is really nice and we've been to Flemming's too but we won't be back either, its atmosphere and service just didn't cut it when paying that much. The wife & I have settled on Donovan's in La Jolla as our all-time #1 favorite $$$$ restaurant. Ambiance is nicer, I think, and the waitstaff is incredible. Table #13 is great with a nice Remington statue of Coming Through the Rye over the booth. Table #9 is nice too and is in a bit quieter area further away from the front. Wherever you sit, if you end up there, ask to be seated in Victor's area who is our favorite waiter. He REALLY knows how to take care of his customers, he'll make you think you're his #1 favorite couple of the night. Hopefully table 9 or 13 will be in his area the night you are there.

One more suggestion besides their bone-in Ribeye... be sure to have a "Beam Me Up Scotty" after dinner drink before you leave your table. It has a little caffeine kicker in it to pick you up after a great meal.

Whever you go with your wife Mat, congrats on your Anniversary!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:23 PM  

Oceanside, CA
Thanks for the congrats and the tips, Jerry! We'll be sure to ask for Victor and also ask about tables 9 and/or 13. I haven't actually spoken with anybody who's been to Donovan's, only heard the radio ads. Sounds like we'll make this spot!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:37 AM  

San Diego, CA
Pizza Italia in Santee has an amazing calzone. Gus' down in Pt. Loma (Rosecrans and Canon i think) makes some amazing samiches. I don't know the name of the place but there is a hole in the wall chinese place on Rosecrans accross from In-n-out (best burger btw) in the same little shopping area as Rubios that has some amazing salt-n-pepper wings, they are huge and really good.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Diego
Bookmark this Page!