Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Diego
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 AM  

San DIego, California
The main reason for OHV verification is to ensure the safety of the National Forest that many of the trails we drive cut through. Following their guidelines can only ensure we don't lose all our privileges.

Cleveland National Forest - Recreational Activities
this site has been a wealth of information

Pancake Rock is just a little west of Loveland reservoir. It's one of those, the entrance determines if you can make the rest of the trail kinda deals. Almost lost my coil there. \/ It's definitely a place I would not just go check out alone one day. You'll probably want a spotter at a couple locations.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:41 PM  

San DIego, California
Dude I think your missing the context of what I'm trying to say. You have to verify that your OHV follows the rules of each individual trail. It's not like a payment or documentation. Some of the trails require you have at least a 12.5" footprint. Some places have exhaust restrictions to help stop fires. OHV verification is verifying your vehicle can drive on the specific trail you have chosen. And yes, they do check for these kinds of things. Sorry, I misspoke earlier when I said certification. Although, on that subject, I don't believe the DMV has used the green sticker in many years. I believe its a whole new license place. Although I haven't owned a trailered rig in a while so I could be wrong on that...

Anyway, sweet rig! What's your set up?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 AM  

San Diego, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacrat View Post
I usually go off the Otay Lakes road in Chulla Vista. It's right near an airstrip where you can sign up to go parachuting. The area is split up in sections marked as "wild life preserve", so just watch for the signs and keep off the land. Boarder Patrol is in the area to open the gates if you get yourself behind one. For the most part, there are areas off the Otay Lakes road where you can enter.

Let me know if you ever want to head out there.
I'm in the south bay and would be interested to check it out. I didn't know you could get up there.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 AM  

San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstump View Post
Where is this? Does anyone know of a good off-roading paper map for SD County?
Pancake Rock 32? 42' 49.572" N, 116? 42' 20.4156" W

Look for the "San Diego County Backcountry" map. You can find it at most Sports Authority stores, some Big 5 Sporting goods, REI carries it and almost every store in the desert area. It has a brown cover.

Also grab a copy of the "San Diego Desert Region" map, available at the same places, has a greenish cover. Both good maps but you should get both as they have different trails on them. Look around too Lowell Lindsay's book of the same name. Public libraries have them, eBay too.

Speaking of books, look for Jerry Schad's excellent book and/or CD, Afoot and Afield in San Diego

Along with JustRuns there's lots of good folks doing desert runs here:

JeepForum San Diego

They are going to be running Rodriguez/Oroflamme Canyon, The Squeeze and Heart Attack Hill this Sunday (11-7)
Old 11-11-2010, 05:09 PM  

san diego, CA
Los Coyotes is open again there is a run with justruns in late December.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Diego
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads