Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 PM  

Oakland, California
BART Tricks/Inside Knowledge

What are people's best tips and tricks for riding BART? For veterans and also bay area newcomers...

BART fares are calculated relative to your starting station - like many transit systems. Don't make the same mistake I did when I was a rookie BART rider. I got on and then needed to get off at the same station. I expected zero fare - instead, a "tour of the system" fare was deducted from my card. Far more than the maximum fare possible! This is supposedly to deter people from just riding around on BART all day - though it doesn't seem like much of a deterrent.

if you need to get off at the same station you started at, be sure to tell the station agent to run your card through for zero fare.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:28 PM  

Pleasant Hill, CA
Tips from a daily commuter for 2 years:

Avoid BART at peak commute hours (towards SF in the morning, and away at night) if you can... You can never get a seat and people are grumpy.

There is an unspoken rule about lines for each "door" marked in black on the floor. Most people won't say anything, but it is super annoying when people jump in, especially if they were waiting at the 10 car spot for an 8 car train then they try to jump in front of you.

Don't try to catch the doors as they are closing... If it closes on you it wont hurt, but the doors get jammed and everyone has to get off until they send a new train...

Always check the news to see if the BART drivers are threatening to strike... They have benefits most working people wouldn't dream of, but still hold the bay area hostage once in a while because they deserve better... I'll only support that when I get parking and a seat everyday and every train is on time.

Guys - Don't take the seat reserved for elderly and handicapped... Do you really want to have to "guess" if she's really pregnant, or just large? If you see someone visibly pregnant and are willing to risk it, tell the punk kids to get up for the lady...

I think that's all I got for now, but I could probably go on forever.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:02 AM  

CA
Be sure to be on the platform by 12 midnight when traveling late. Is so your train will get you there. Any later and you may be taking a cab.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads