Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2010, 03:01 PM  

Napa, CA
Internet service in the North Bay

Done with AT&T and not about to go the Comcast route so what are my options. It seems like Napa County is in the dark ages when it comes to fast, reliable internet service. Who do you use?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 PM  

Cobb, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocipus View Post
Done with AT&T and not about to go the Comcast route so what are my options. It seems like Napa County is in the dark ages when it comes to fast, reliable internet service. Who do you use?
Ugg I have AT&T DSL now but am moving, only options were Hughs Net or Mediacom, Since I am surrounded by hill and BIG trees Hughes site survey was a bust, looks like I am going to have to do with Mediacom until something better comes along, cell coverage is spotty, Directv is out for the same reason no clear shot of the sat. Hope someday soon they will string fiberoptic my way, not looking forward to the 'cable experiance'

Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 PM  

Oakland, CA
Sonic.net is based in Santa Rosa and is terrific. We use them in the East Bay, and they do phone-DSL-cable packages now for a fraction of the cost of Comcast. Plus, local! Highly recommend.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:29 PM  

Comcast

Aside from their horrific billing issues, service using Comcast has been great. I have tried many other companies all have their challenges, but Comcast is the known evil I can live with the easiest.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:11 AM  

CA
I want to go to comcast but currently there is no cable service, so I'm stuck sith DSL for now. That's what you get when you rent I guess.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:20 AM  

I'll throw in a second suggestion for Sonic.net. I switched to them from ATT a few months ago. Speeds are a little faster and with their recent price drop, I am not paying less then I paid to ATT for phone\internet combo.

Also their customer service is great. Had to call in once and they even followed up with me after the issue was resolved to make sure I was satisfied.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:40 PM  

Rohnert Park, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdoggydog View Post
Aside from their horrific billing issues, service using Comcast has been great. I have tried many other companies all have their challenges, but Comcast is the known evil I can live with the easiest.
i also use the comcast behemoth
have been actively considering switching to sonic as they are in town.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:49 AM  

Sebastopol, California
My DSL is absolutely horrible. It's AT&T, but it's the line that's bad. Any other DSL would use the same lines so I'm screwed. I don't want to go satellite since I play online games and you can't do that with the lag time of the trip to geosynchronous and back. I'd love Comcast, but they want to charge me $ 11,630 to run the cable 900' down a short lane to the house. If there are other viable options, I'd love to hear about them too.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM  

If you can get sonic.net, I recommend it.
If you have poor DSL it's worth pitching a fit until they move you to different equipment either on the DSLAM in the central office or the grooming / repeater gear in your neighborhood B box. The provider doesn't always know they have bad equipment unless you complain and if necessary insist on being rolled to new equipment.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:06 PM  

Sebastopol, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fensterlips View Post
If you can get sonic.net, I recommend it.
If you have poor DSL it's worth pitching a fit until they move you to different equipment either on the DSLAM in the central office or the grooming / repeater gear in your neighborhood B box. The provider doesn't always know they have bad equipment unless you complain and if necessary insist on being rolled to new equipment.
I'll check into Sonic.net, thanks for the suggestion. It's still a DSL service though, I believe.

AT&T has replaced everything, switched wire pairs all the way to the CO. Swapped modems 4 times and switched routers and after at least a dozen service calls, they've basically given up. They initially said it was my house wiring. I paid $3K to have Cat 6, 100% shielded, foam cored cable run aerially, directly from the box to the house modem. Imagine my disappointment when it didn't help at all. I'm trying to get Comcast to help pay to get down my lane. I'm actually considering the paying them the money.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Bookmark this Page!