Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2010, 03:09 PM  

Camarillo, CA
Speakeasy Brewery - Getting There

I had the benefit of trying Speakeasy Brew located in SF, when it was on tap at a local pub near LA. So good! Their address is 1195 Evans - located east end of the bay.

I tried to visit the brewery when I was in SF last time and the cabby that was going to drive me and my girlfriend said it was located in a bad part of town and that I should not visit. He would have driven us there, but he said good luck getting back to the hotel. He said that cabs rarely venture to that part of town, and if I do call for one do not expect them to pick you up anytime soon. We would be waiting for an hour or two to get a ride back.

Does this information provided to me by the cabby sound right to you? Is it easy getting to and from this brewery on a Friday evening.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:58 PM  

SF Bay Area (north), California
it's only a block from the City College of SF Evans Campus and there are a lot worse neighborhoods in the City. People go to school by cab all the time. There are times that you can't find a cab anywhere in the City, so I would go and call a cab from the brewery when you want to be picked up.
BTW, Speakeasy makes some very good ales!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 PM  

Seaside, CA
Crazy story about that brew- About 8 or 9 years ago, I was working as a sound guy on small stage and the stage manager was the mother in law of the guy who started up the brewery. I believe he was a partner. I lost her contact but she was a sweet lady and was very excited about the start up. I've been meaning to check out that place for a while now. I really like the beers.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 PM  

not too hard to get too

With some some patience you can get there on public transit. Take muni bus 19 from downtown/civic center (8th & market) heading south. It will take 30-40 min to get to the stop right in front of the brewery (Evans Ave & Keith St). I would recommend asking the driver to stop there when you get on or after you cross 3rd St.
The bus does go through some of SF's more colorful neighborhoods, and passes by the county jail, SF general hospital, and loops through a housing project on potrero hill, but being on the bus is safe. Avoid looking too touristy and playing with expensive electronics or cameras while on the ride and you should be fine.
I've been out to Speakeasy on Fridays afternoons when they have tastings. For $3 you get a pint, they often have new beers you can't yet buy, and local families come in with tasty food to sell. A SF must in my book!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Bookmark this Page!