Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 PM  

San Francisco, CA
Wanted: First hand exp w/ Bargain Cell Providers

3 year old phone starting to go on the fritz, so I'm thinking of switching providers when it gets replaced. Minimum plan that works for me with my current provider is about $60/mo. Thinking of Metro or Boost but I'd rather not shell out the extra upfront cost on the new phone only to find out I want to switch back to my contract where the phone would have been free w/ new 2 year.

Rumors are all old stories about a friend of a friend of a friend... Seeking any current FIRST HAND experiences with Metro and Boost. How is the coverage these days? Any troubles making calls at peak hours? How's the web speed if I need to google something or check email? I'm mostly around the city and peninsula, but coverage experiences outside the area would be good to know too.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 PM  

San Francisco, CA
Ended up going with Virgin's LG Optimus with $25/month plan which includes 300 min(total, no nights/weekends) and unlimited text/web. Pay upfront for the phone(~160 w/ tax when I bought) but saving a lot per month. Check the cnet reviews for more opinions on the phone itself. My summary: It's a good phone with a mediocre camera, rugged, and affordable. I'm a fan of samsung, so I was looking at their slider offered by Virgin since I like real buttons, but the LG has much better reviews for durability since there are no moving parts.

My understanding is Virgin piggy-backs off of the sprint network and I haven't had any unreasonable areas of no coverage. I have had some frustrating "network error" messages when trying to use the web though. Web seems a little slow compared to some of my friends, but it works great for the every so often google search or pandora radio listening. The only thing being the network error problem that pops up now and then. You get what you pay for I guess, so I can deal with it when it does show up, but it has left me high and dry when using google navigator before.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Bookmark this Page!