Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Jose
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM  

San Jose, CA
btw...for any homebrewers on the thread, if you join the american homebrewers association you get discounts at tons of pubs: Homebrewers Association | Find a Pub Discount

plus you can say that you are a card carrying homebrewer.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 PM  

I just recently visited family in Atlanta and we got the chance to go to the Sweetwater brewery. Awesome set up! I think it was $8 (Bring Cash!) and you get a glass filled with I think 6 drink tickets. There are about 6 different bars setup with most of their beers on tap that exchange your ticket for a half or 3/4 full beer. (supposed to be a 'tasting') I got the hours they do this from their website below. Live band was playing while we were there and tons of awesome people just hanging out having a good time.

Wednesday ? Friday 5:30 ? 7:30
Saturday 2:30 ? 4:30

Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM  

Bay Area, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDun View Post
Also, On Wednesdays, Rock bottom will refill growlers for $5 (does not have to be a Rock Bottom branded growler) and happy hour is all day (not a recommendation to spend all day there, but you don't have to rush to get there between 3 - 6 pm).
wow really? this must be new, i dont remember there being a all day happy hour on wednesday, now i hope the sharks play more games on those days
Old 11-29-2010, 08:41 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFX View Post
wow really? this must be new, i dont remember there being a all day happy hour on wednesday, now i hope the sharks play more games on those days
It's been that way all of 2010. Wednesday nights are usually packed because of it (or hump day celebrating). And I forgot to mention the $5 starters. Having said that, they may change their specials around again at the new year. In 2009, $5 growler day was Saturday.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:45 PM  

San Jose, CA
I've never been to the Boulder Creek brewery - I'll have to check it out. been to the Los Gatos brewing Co mentioned above and that was pretty good. Does Rock Bottom really fill growlers from other places?
I didnt think that was allowed...
Old 12-02-2010, 03:54 PM  

San Jose, CA
Los Gatos Brewing is pretty good as are Sonoma Chicken Coop and BJ's. Nothing knocks my socks off but they're better than a lot of what you find in the supermarkets. Can't beat homebrew though.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:03 PM  
Community Active

Florence, OR
I've found the card doesn't get me anything but a blank stare from my server. Many pubs and restaurants offer very little and to avoid embarrassing them and myself, it stays in my wallet.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButteryMuffins View Post
I've never been to the Boulder Creek brewery - I'll have to check it out. been to the Los Gatos brewing Co mentioned above and that was pretty good. Does Rock Bottom really fill growlers from other places?
I didnt think that was allowed...
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV or the internet.

My understanding in CA is it's allowed to refill a growler as long as it does not have a label indicating the contents are something other than what it is. I.e., if it said Pliny the Elder on it, it couldn't be filled with something else. But having a logo from another brewery is apparently not considered the contents label.

I've only had one brewpub in CA refuse to refill a growler that wasn't from their pub (in Santa Cruz).

I was at Stone Brewery and they had large glass refillable containers bigger than 64 oz with "Arrogant Bastard Ale" on the label and they said they could only fill it with Arrogant Bastard Ale.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:51 AM  

Bay Area, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I've found the card doesn't get me anything but a blank stare from my server. Many pubs and restaurants offer very little and to avoid embarrassing them and myself, it stays in my wallet.
so your saying its not a good investment? would printing out what discounts they suppose to offer help (that would defiantly be odd, but hey your the one paying extra for the membership to get that supposed discount)
Old 12-14-2010, 05:29 PM  

Santa Cruz, CA
I've been told that the potential fine for filling an incorrectly labeled growler is big...in the thousands? Yikes.

When in the S.Cruz area, don't forget Seabright, S.C. Mountain Brewing and S.C. Aleworks. They all support us homebrewers as well!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Jose
Bookmark this Page!