Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Jose
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 PM  

Campbell, CA
Local Gun shops and prep suppliers

Hello everyone,

I got hooked up on this forum through Prepared Society, which I found through Calguns.net. Thought I'd share some thoughts on local suppliers for preppers and enthusiasts.

For firearms:

My new favorite is Sportsmen's Supply on Camden in San Jose. Nice selection of handgun's, shotguns, and rifles at reasonable prices. Plus, unlike other stores in the South Bay, they do 90 day layaways with (don't quote me on this one) 20-25% down. Good selection on fishing and archery gear as well. I've had nothing but great customer service with them. Downside is they don't deal in AW stuff. For that, you can go to

The Gun Vault in Mountain View on El Camino near Downtown. Kind of a hole in the wall(if you sneeze, you'll miss it), they specialize in AWs and accessories. Plus they have a good selection of used/consignment handguns, shotguns, and rifles for sale. The guys there are very knowledgable, might come off a little gruff at first, but overall service oriented.

The Gun Exchange in San Jose on Almaden Expressway. Good variety of new/used weapons of all types. I, however, don't like the attitude of the 'necks that work there. Just an observation, 'nuff said.

For Surplus(great places for emergency gear):

I like The Mountain View in Campbell on Bascom near the Pruneyard. Been a customer there since I was a teenager. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Good prices.

Steven's Creek Surplus in San Jose carries similar gear, plus a lot of clothing, footwear, and bigger selection of knives. They tend to run a little higher in price point, but have a large selection and good customer service.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 PM  

San Jose, CA
Shooting Range

If you want a great shooting range, go check out Reeds in Santa Clara. I was just there with some friends. Years ago they had a much better selection of rental guns.... desert eagles, as well as things like CZ's. The selection is much smaller now, but it still is a great indoor range. On a quiet night, they also dont get on you too much for rapid firing.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:15 PM  

San Jose, CA
Beaster - I get the same reaction from those guys at the Gun Exchange on Almaden Road. It is a wonder they are in business. They make you feel unwelcome. I got the bums-rush from them once when I was looking to buy a stainless steel Ruger Redhawk. I was spinning the cylinder and inspecting the gun and they told me not to spin it. I told them I was buying this gun and oh how their attitude changed. Got it in excellent condition for $300. Still get the feeling I am not wanted there to this day.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:24 PM  

San Jose, CA
One other place where you can shop for guns and equipment is Curly's in Cupertino. I believe they are a bit higher priced but they tend to carry very nice used guns. Check them out. They are on Stevens Creek Rd. a block south of Sunnyvale Saratoga Road.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:43 PM  

San Jose, Ca
The gun shop stuff is good to know. What about hunting locations within a few hour drive? I'm mainly looking for deer, but would be up for boar.

I've been shooting and backpacking since I was a kid, and never really got a chance to combine the two...
Old 12-16-2010, 07:16 PM  

Daly City, CA
I think you'll have to go up north for deer, I hunt in the Tehema Wildlife area. I heard of some boar hunting in the Hollister area
Old 12-17-2010, 12:25 AM  

San Jose, Ca
I'll have to check out Tehema. I was expecting to go to Emigrant, but that's even closer.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:10 PM  

Daly City, CA
Which part of Emigrant? Emigrant seems closer than Tehema Wild Life area
Old 12-20-2010, 08:58 AM  

Campbell, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipLash View Post
Beaster - I get the same reaction from those guys at the Gun Exchange on Almaden Road. It is a wonder they are in business. They make you feel unwelcome. I got the bums-rush from them once when I was looking to buy a stainless steel Ruger Redhawk. I was spinning the cylinder and inspecting the gun and they told me not to spin it. I told them I was buying this gun and oh how their attitude changed. Got it in excellent condition for $300. Still get the feeling I am not wanted there to this day.
I have never felt welcome in that shop. They are very condesending, even towards my Father-n-Law who has done quite a bit of business with them in the past. I have also overheard racist comments from the younger guys in there in regards to some other 'customers' that had just left. You are right, it is a wonder they are still in business.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:57 PM  

San Jose, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_jeeper View Post
Which part of Emigrant? Emigrant seems closer than Tehema Wild Life area
I'm a dumba$$ . When I searched on googlemaps for Tehema wilderness, the first result was in Santa Cruz. I didn't look any closer...

I love the Bear Lake area of Emigrant. I took my kids in from the south. We packed in to Bear Lake, and then up to Granite. I'd probably just check out that area unless I hear of a better one. I have a lot of work to do before then on the 1944 Enfield that my dad gave me.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Jose
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.