Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2003, 01:40 PM  

If a Starbucks opens in SM, it will most definately drive the other local coffee shops out of business, maybe not right away, but eventually. It will be a newer, hipper place for the coffee crowd to go, plus it will draw the non coffee amateurs out of the woodwork.

Personally, i like starbucks. Living in Houston, I pass about 4 of them on my 5 mile drive to work, and they do see my share of $$. Those icey frappucinos are quite tasty on hot days.

Cant wait to be in san marcos this coming weekend....river, here i come!!

Old 08-25-2003, 05:05 PM  

it'll be great

Everything will be just fine...until we have two starbucks.

Just tell all your anti-corporate friends to chill at the local places, and i'll tell my friends to chill at the popular place, and everything will even out.

Local business rely on word of mouth....corporations rely on commercials...

Old 08-25-2003, 05:56 PM  

STARBUCKS DEBUFFED

So here is the real skinny on the San Marcos Starbucks:

The contractor/owner/leasor of the old First National Bank on the corner of Guadalupe and Hopkins told me that although Starbucks was looking at that site for a store, he instead leased the downstairs to a restaraunt (of which he didn't disclose the name of). He stated the upstairs would be apartments and some space on the first floor would be reserved for retail frontage, but the restaraunt has first dibs on the entire first floor. They are leaving the massive safe doors in for display purposes and it will somehow tie into the restaraunt theme I think.

Anyway, that's straight from the horses mouth.

It does confirm, however, that Staurbucks is looking for a place to land here in San Marcos.

Starbucks was once a small Seattle Coffee Shop, now a huge chain of decent coffee drinks and a socialite/iconistic hot spot for those who like coffee, coffee shops, knowing they are in a popular place that the rest of the crowd approves of, etc.... I think this town can support both the Starbucks and local coffee shops, I just hope they don't intentionally place their store right near a local coffee shop and capitalize on years of some other person's hard work establishing that area as one that serves coffee - like they have done in other cities and come under significant fire in Chicago, California, Colorado, New York, Main, etc... That is the only real thing I don't like about Starbucks, is their techniques of finding well-established coffee houses in growing towns and strategically placing them near or flat against these shops.

Kinda like a fellow waiting for another fellow to dig a hand-dug water well, only to stand there and drink from it once he's done.

Coffee is just a bean, it's people who make the shops.

- MA
Old 08-26-2003, 06:25 AM  
A2

FYI

Here's a juicy lil' tid-bit.
The reason (what I've heard, which as yall know aint that reliable) that bank has a shiny new safe is because the notorious outlaw gang "the Newton Boys" Blew the livin' Sh*t out of the old safe. If you've seen the movie, it's the scene where they blow the safe and it almost destorys the whole building.
THat scene was actually shot in Martindale. (I met Dwight Yokum walkin' down main st. of Martindale, Really cool dude btw) But it represents the san marcos bank.

In case you care.
And good CSI work, monkey. I don't really remember ya, but I know, should we meet again, I'll remember. I to enjoy cafe on the square, and am usually in the back, knockin' down some breaktacos, wearin' overalls and giving dirty looks to people so they won't talk to me. lol

I was wonderin' if you've met up with grady roper and ever had any art peices in any of his shows?
Old 08-26-2003, 09:23 AM  

Newton Boys

Hey A2, you're right about the Newton Boys blowing that bank. Same bank, and they used too much nitro and it tossed cash and coins into the center of the square!

An older movie called, "The Getaway", with Steve McQueen...the rob the bank in San Marcos...but changed the name on the bank to Beacon City Bank for the movie. It's pretty cool, rent the movie and you'll see old San Marcos!

My father got to interview the Newton Boys when he was a Dallas radio reporter, and has a great audio tape of the older reel-to-reel tapes. They were getting up in years back then.

I'll make sure if I see you at Cafe not to disturb your taco-eating feista.

- MA
Old 09-13-2003, 08:42 AM  

Wi-Fi

another positive of having starbucks locate in SM is the availability of Wi-Fi.

Starbucks, airports, hotels, have been a major contributor to allowing mobile users to gain access to the internet via, wireless access points set up withing the domain.

Starbucks has helped pioneer Wi-Fi in the major cities, and if they do so here in san marcos, and why not, other shops/stores will follow suit because of consumer base.

So that's a plus
Old 01-29-2004, 03:44 PM  
justsayin

local coffee

as far as local coffee shops go im down with mochas and javas, and joe on the go, but a certain unnamed shop on the square has very rude owners, (i think they are new) while drinking coffee I heard the lady ask about three people to leave for not buying anything, and one of them was my friend that I was sitting with. If that is how a business is going to treat my guests, then Im going to Starbucks, or some other coffee company that aren't pinching pennies. boycott the coffee shop on the square, rhythmes with the toffee cot.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:42 PM  
A2

ya

Having a no Loitering policy in a coffee shop is kinda redundant, is it not?

I'm going to try and find an email address and forward this on to them......

A2
Old 01-30-2004, 09:50 AM  

Coffe Pot

It seems the new owners have decided what "population" they prefer to cater to. I used to go and get my coffee there years ago, and stopped when the energy started feeling a tad "exclusive." It wasn't any fun going in there and having a couch-full of no-coffee-drinking-coffee-house-vultures staring blankly at you with absolutely no intent on responding to your "hello, how are you."

So, I don't miss that much, and I know the new owners have been riding a hard line to combat that same energy. Still, I have to agree with the rest of you that coffee shops in general ought to be much more welcoming than what currently appears to be, "Are you done with that yet, are you going to have another, and if not...do you mind if I sweep under your feet every two seconds until you decide what you're going to do?"

I think they are going through growing pains, and hopefully they'll relax their "better have a friggin cup of coffee in your hands at all times" policy.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:50 PM  

since Starbuck's isn't here yet...

can someone tell me what coffee shops there are besides the Coffee Pot?

Thx,
Cyp

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!