Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2004, 11:25 AM  
TXSTATEGAL

Starbucks

There is going to definately be a Starbucks across from the Outlets. I'm 100% sure on this one. It's on the Southbound side off the access road. It isn't built yet, but there's a big sign that says "COMING SOON STARBUCKS". So maybe there's two on their way?
Old 08-04-2004, 12:59 PM  
A2

That must be going in the Strip Mall next to Schlotsky's that their building right now, eh?

I don't really mind them putting one in out there.

I wish they would put that damn motel/conferenct center out there.

Old 08-05-2004, 07:02 PM  

yah i was confused on the motel/conference center. Where exactly is that going up? I know it's somewhere on aquarena but where??

Yah starbucks going to be the anchor shop at the "outlet west" shopping center"
Old 08-14-2004, 08:04 AM  
roarkfamtx

Starbucks

No, Starbucks is going into a new strip mall accross I-35 from the Outlet mall. (Next to the Station and behind Whataburger). Think it will take more from the I-35 crowd. But, with a great local spot within 1.5 miles already in place at Wonder World and Hunter roads, I hope it does not hurt the local business. My vote is to keep it local, and stay away from I-35.....
Old 08-18-2004, 08:02 AM  

Nooooo!!!

Death to the coorporate coffee house!

Any one seen the statistics that Starbucks coffee has like 60% more caffiene in it? Oh well...I guess if we could get the crack addicts drinking coffee instead of smokin crack, the world would be a better place!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:01 PM  

Quote:
Any one seen the statistics that Starbucks coffee has like 60% more caffiene in it? Oh well...I guess if we could get the crack addicts drinking coffee instead of smokin crack, the world would be a better place!
Nope, but i wouldn't doubt it. Caffiene is the most widely used drug.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:19 AM  

Quote:
"Any one seen the statistics that Starbucks coffee has like 60% more caffiene in it? " 60% more caffeine! and to think I didn't like starbucks.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:15 AM  
Crappage

Can't wait to pay $4 for a coffee!

sux
Old 09-03-2004, 06:44 PM  
SE

Lets THINK critically!

"Altho local business may suffer, corporations offer more jobs"

is it quantity of jobs or quality that we want? If you are actually going to stay and live in this town you might want more than a low paying corp job that offers no beniefits. Corporations may offer a larger amount of jobs but that does not mean we are better off.

"Starbucks, will add to San Marcos growth, as well as tourism to the city,"

It is unlikely that people will come to san marcos or decide to stay in San marcos based on wheter or not there is a Starbucks.

"San Marcos is not a podunk town, and every new metro/major business that comes in is always a good thing. It gives tourists a sense of their big city living w/ small town class."

You are very right here! SAn Marcos is NOT a podunk town. It is a wonderful town made up of people who want REAL growth, prosperity, diversity and MOST OF ALL CRITICAL THINKERS!
We can think of many examples where this is true, Just go 28 miles north and you will find a great city (Austin) that has this same senerio. Although Austin is still a great town, most of the people who made it great and weird and wonderful have had to move to make room for the guys who have the CORPORATE JOBS AT THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN! hey more power to them, they have the education and the hard work behind them that got them to the top in the first place(social darwinism) but the reality is, lots of wonderful, hardworking, artistic people made this town what it is long time before those Corporations came in and offered a lot of low paying jobs with "healthcare" that only covered you if you are healthy.

The hotel at the mouth of Aquerena springs is a good example.
Yes, there will be new jobs. Most will start at min wage for the housekeepers and will end with the landscapers who are dumping pesticides and herbicides in our river to control the dandilion and fireant growth on the golf course. The only people likely to be able to pay these GREEN fees will be the OWNERS OF STARBUCKS, THE HOTEL,MCOYS,THERMON etc. Its not going to be the owner of "Jo on the Go", The housekeeper at the new hotel, The person working at Starbucks or the majority of San Marcos residents.
The biggest problem with that is , in the process of making the city better, we are destroying why people come in the first place. They come for the river and they come to shop (Ya some come for college but tourisim and the outlet mall is probably our biggest industries) Check this out... Put the hotel(and its golf course) and the starbucks at I35 where the consumers can appreciate it. AND Protect the river and the local busneses and tax paying residents by preserving the other reason people come to SM. To float down the river! Nobody will float in a nasty chemical filled Auquifer!! Hell lets build a better Schlitterbaun. That will bring $ equevilent to the housekeeping positions at the hotel and will be a lot more fun than a stodgy old golf course! Maybe we could promote the fact that San Marcos is one(if not) the most CONTIOUSLY inhabitatated places in America. WOW we could use this place we love for education, fun,,growth, excitement AND a better way of life without
exploiting our happy valley. Ever heard of Telluride CO ? They are surrounded by mountains. They cant Physically expand so they think critically!Film festivals, Thinkers,people who appreciate nature etc. Lets be smarter! Not just a town with a Starbucks and a golf course that runs off into the river!

SAM PS I wish there was a spell checker on this site!
Old 09-04-2004, 07:56 AM  
A2

Se,
Well put...I couldn't agree with you more....

A2

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!