Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2007, 11:25 AM  
A2

I've maintained the little church right next door for about the past 6 years, and when they added their parking lot a few years ago, no one said anything. If you look their asphalt goes right to the edge of the creek. LOL

I predict duplexes next door, with in the next 3 years.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:51 PM  

I don't know what San Marcos' impervious cover restrictions are. I thought the city passed something a couple of years ago, but that was before my time here. If something does happen with the current building, hopefully it'll get made into a decent patio bar (oh, the potential...), or if they do build, hopefully it'll be apartments not duplexes. I don't see how they'd fit more than two duplexes on the property. It doesn't seem like that would be profitable. BTW, what ever happened to the Concho Commons project that was supposed to happen on the other side of campus? The sign said it was supposed to be finished in 2006.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:59 PM  

rivendell rip

He and his wife had been doing that for thirty years. They got tired of it, as far as I can tell. They decided to move on when someone offered them the right money for it.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:22 PM  

say it ain't so

Rivendell was the most unique restaurant ever in San Marcos. Very few people ate there regularly and few of them understood how much love went in to the preparation of their food and drink. The service was very slow and the food was never rushed. A zen lesson in slowing down and enjoying the simple things in life. Ignored by students looking for action and anathematized by money grubbing locals, Rivendell was invisible to the masses. San Marcos has lost more than a quaint little restaurant, it has lost one of the last vestiges of it's soul. Pave paradise...
Old 06-04-2008, 01:59 PM  

Zen lessons are fine, but if you want to be a lunch place near campus, you should be reasonably fast. I don't know that that is why they shut down. They were in business for many years, so there was something there. I always enjoyed their food, but couldn't afford the wait very often.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:06 PM  

Even an old sot like me will miss Rivendell. Great food, great people, great location. Best peach smoothie I've ever had. Snakeman used to live next door (uphill - now torn down). We'd get fired up and hit the 'dell for grub and eyeballing the elves. I feel sorry for you kids who didn't experience SM in it's prime when hippies ruled the earth. If you don't know Mosscliff (restaurant), Happy Trails (headshop), or the Green Buddha (coffee shop) you missed the boat. Rivendell was the last remnant of that Golden Era.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:50 AM  

Damn right Spud. Best peach smoothie on the planet. Whatever happened to the Snakeman? There ought to be a thread on the SM Golden Era. Everyone's reality is/was a little different, so it could be very interesting. I'd place it at 69-78. Don't know if there are enough people on this forum with first hand experience to flesh it out properly.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM  

There are rumors and rumors of rumors about the Snakeman, but I haven't seen WW in a long time. He was damn sure a good ol' boy. He'd know more about Rivendell than anybody other than the owners.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:23 PM  

With the economy in the dumpster and maybe another 86 hitting us it's possible that nothing will happen at the Rivendell location. And if the place just sits there for a while someone might just open another restaurant. That would be the easiest and cheapest thing to do. The vibes of the location and the glut of burger joints in town would preclude that a similar eatery would arise. Rivendell is dead, long live Rivendell.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 AM  

Rivendell Redux

I suppose anything is possible. Who would have thought Rivendell would last 30 years. I never saw it crowded. If it or something like it reopened there it would be another SM miracle. Stranger things have happened in this town.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads