Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2007, 10:47 AM  

where do you find the voter turnout for each voting precinct?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 AM  

San Marcos
Also, and please read and understand my entire comment before accusing me of being a student-hater or something, how many of the voters do you think were students?

I know there was an active push to get them out to vote and if it was successful, that means the percentage of the non-student population that turned out was apallingly low.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 PM  

I agree semi-native. More people ought to be engaged. At least four more. :-)
Old 11-07-2007, 01:25 PM  

Typically I get the precinct by precinct breakdown directly from Joyce. I don't know that it is posted on the Web site. Brad
Old 11-10-2007, 03:56 AM  

SMISD larger voting area than San Marcos city limits

You can find the election results on the hays county home page. There is a link to election results. I think this is the one from election night and not the offical canvas report (which you can get from elections office). If you actually look at the report, you will see that only 25661 voters are registered in the city limits. The SMISD had 3840 voters, compared to city elections of 2,579 voters because the school districts taxing area is larger than the city limits. People in 315 still pay school taxes but the majority live outside of San Marcos, same with all the other A pcts (315A, etc). Also some of the pcts that are taxed by the school aren't even in the city limits at all.

* In response to the low voter turn out- San Marcos is the most frustrating city when it comes to voting. Candidates do engage the voters. Problems---It's hard to connect with people, when they aren't even registered. You try to do registration drives and they shut the door in your face or tell you they don't vote because it puts you on the map or think their vote doesn't count. Most of the community doesn't even read the local paper. Many are communters that know more about Austin. They come home to be with their family and at the end of the day, voting is the last thing on their mind. I wish more people new the importance of voting in local elections, because that is actually what effects you the most. This is actually a good turn out for an off year election. What it takes is neighbors meeting neighbors and everyone doing their part getting people involved. Your friend will typically listen to you before the stranger at the door or on the phone.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:32 AM  

Amen to that. I put in countless hours trying to get people registered to vote both on campus and throughout the city. I've now become extremely aware of how hard it is to avoid being involved. With that in mind, I salute you, city of San Marcos. Nice job not participating in local elections and still complaining about everything that is wrong here!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:29 AM  

Its amazing... every vote does count. It is no secret that I supported Mr. Bose in this election. On my way home from work on Tuesday I called 2 of my neighbors driving home from Austin to remind them to vote. Their reply was "Oh, Im glad you reminded us!" , I then called another neigbor and reminded her to vote as well. She was already at home and promised she would go vote and she did. They are Bose supporters as well. Funny how Mr. Bose won by three votes !:wink:

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:12 AM  

Yes, there's the difference. I called my friends to get them to vote and they either responded with 1) "They wouldn't let me vote." or 2) I don't know, I've got a lot to do today."

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.