Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2007, 07:54 AM  

I actually just had the most perfect pizza from Pizza Classics.I ordered with sausage, bell peppers, onions, olives, and mushrooms. 5 toppings for $12.49 special. It was PERFECTLY cooked. Not greasy. Not burnt. They even give you dipping sauce like Papa Johns, but don't charge the $1.50 delivery fee.

Alternatively, Craig O's is a good place for pizza too. You can get it by the slice and they have good beer specials, not to mention huge flat pannels.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:14 AM  

San Marcos
I'll add Zen's to the list. They are over on Sessom, in the little shopping center. They just opened and the pizza is pretty damn good. Not only that, but they donate money to the local food bank and some student art gallery.

I have to retract this vote for best pizza. Things have been pretty bad the last two times I have gotten pizza here. Most recently, the pizza was indescribably greasy and the toppings were ridiculous. There was a half slice of pepperoni on each slice of pizza. No joke. And the service was terrible. When we got there to pick the pizza up, they rang us up and wandered away. We assumed that this was because the pizza was in the oven still. After about 10 minutes, we asked "Is that our pizza, on top of the oven?"

The reply: "Uh, ok" and a luke-warm, greasy, piece of **** with hardly any toppings. Such a shame. We may try the place one more time, but then again, we may not bother. It was great the first time and awful the second and third.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:46 AM  

San Marcos
Bumping this topic because I am so pissed about the service at Zen's.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:22 AM  

A good spot spoiled

I hear you Semi. The grease doesn't bother me. My gripe is with their sauce--it's disgusting and it isn't pizza sauce. They use what is essentially a basil marinara. Yuck. It belongs on a plate of noodles, not a pizza.
I haven't tried the white sauce, and I'm not going to. I'm back to D'Blazios, no matter how many times they drop my pizza on the floor right before I arrive to pick it up. They are my favorite stoned cooks. As for the goodness of Zen's, I can donate my own money to local charities (@ more than one dollar a pop) and continue to buy produce, bread, cheese, flowers, etc. at the Farmer's Market.

The downside to a crappy Zen's: if it goes under, I'm going to have to go back to ragging on the other dump in that plaza, Mochas and Jesus. Ugh. I love Jesus but I hate Free Trade! I think that's actually printed on the backs of their t-shirts.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:19 PM  

looking for a good non-franchised San Marcos pizza...

Just moved to town, and tried Valentino's pizza last night. The crust was like cardboard and they skimped on the pepperoni. I won't be going back there any time soon. Who makes a good pie in San Marcos? Besides Papa Johns? I'll definitely look for Pizza Classics.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:27 AM  

I definitely think Deblazio's, Sunny's, and Valentino's have the very best pizza in town : ) Loves it!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:18 PM  

Pizza

D'Blazio's and Sunny's are great. If you order Valentino's - I recommend the wheat crust.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:13 AM  

not very zen...

Ok, about Zens:

I thought the inside ambiance was nice, but the tv was up way too loud...can i hear myself talk in here? I ordered a wild rocket pizza (arugala bacon pizza, which took 30 min to cook), but when i got home, they had given me a pepperoni. Went back to get the correct pizza, decided to eat it there, gave us the correct pizza, without arugala. Went and asked them to put it on, more then 5 min later they come back with two pieces of wilted arugala on each slice. What a joke. I might give it another chance, but it is expensive pizza and all i got from them was pissy attitude for thier f-ups. If these guys go under, it is thier own doing.

Bottom line best pizza in SM, D'blazios (if you have the cash) and Sunny's (if you dont). Valentinos is good right away, terrible left over. nuff said.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:58 AM  
A2

Good review token...

The last line of your post pretty much sums up the entire pizza debate. I could not agree more.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 PM  

My take on Zen's: I've only eaten there once (before they were even done with it), but it was pretty good. They had a couple pies already made to order by the slice, and the slices were on the large end. It was fairly economical ($2-3/slice, 2 filled me up), and tasted great. They have a rather large menu (one of the largest I've seen here in SM), and I think they do delivery. They had a cool interior, a bar (unfinished at the time), and the owner made it a point to come over and talk to us which is always good.

I'm definitely going to try it again.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!