Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2007, 09:02 PM  

Brete, Your Example

Ok, so a student tries to vote early Wednesday morning while early voting is allowed on campus. After he strips out of his "Vote for Jude" gear, he waits for the election workers to check his voter validity since he had not yet received his voter registration card. They check his driver's license, look him up in the database, and tell him he's not registered in Hays County. They tell him he's registered in the County of his hometown. The student tries to tell them that he registered in Hays County this September and that they should check his voter registration application. They call someone in the elections office and they pull his card and it says that it was postmarked October 10... one day late for voting in this election. The students was curious to how this could be considering he hand delivered his, along with about 60 others. This student was deputized to register people to vote, and took the initiative to get as many people as possible registered and took the cards himself to the elections office. He couldn't understand how his registration card could say POSTMARKED for the mail on October 10th, yet it never once went in the mail. So, being educated on voting procedures, he asked for a provisional ballot. They told him he could vote provisionally, but only for the state propositions. So, wisely, he decided not to because he did not want to ruin his chance at a protest. I know this story to be a fact because I WAS THAT STUDENT. To this day I was not given my chance to vote because they insist my voter registration app. was in the mail too late despite never going in the mail. Is that a good enough example?

Old 11-15-2007, 09:04 PM  

Another exemple: I registered two friends to vote at the same time around early September. One was allowed to vote with no problems. The other was not, and was not offered a provisional ballot. The reason they turned him away was because it said he was still registered in the city of Kyle. I asked him if he voted provisional, and he asked me "What's that mean? I've never heard of that."

Old 11-15-2007, 09:12 PM  

And I challenge ANYONE here to call me a liar about it, since you think we're all lying about everything.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:47 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EqualVoice View Post
And I challenge ANYONE here to call me a liar about it, since you think we're all lying about everything.
Calm down a little I am really asking for examples, so if there are problems they might get fixed. Sounds like there needs to be some procedure for validating the date recieved by the clerk's office for registration applications received by methods other than mail. This fix could be done locally at the county level, possibly by rule at the Secretary of State's Office, or in the Election Code. Since the next election predates the next session of the legislature, and the Secretary of State isn't likely to do something statewide unless this problem is more wide spread than locally and there is large outcry for action, trying to get our County Clerk to try and come up with a better system would probably be the best solution. Maybe contact the Clerk's Office and see what they have to say? I'd reccomend certified mail for record keeping purposes.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:54 PM  

Thanks for posting in a new thread, that other one had gotten a little hostile.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM  

San Marcos
This sounds like a problem that has been solved 100 times in other areas before. I believe that when someone files documents with the court, they are stamped with a date stamp of some sort when they are received. It seems strange that the election office would not do the same.

Wouldn't that be the end of it? The person hand delivering the cards could observe them being stamped.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
This sounds like a problem that has been solved 100 times in other areas before. I believe that when someone files documents with the court, they are stamped with a date stamp of some sort when they are received. It seems strange that the election office would not do the same.

Wouldn't that be the end of it? The person hand delivering the cards could observe them being stamped.
Well there are fees and such collected with the filing of court documents and there are only a few times a year that the date a registration card is recieved (near elections) really matters versus various court filings which always have a deadline. Still there should be some sort of verification for registration cards, especially near an election.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:19 PM  

San Marcos
It just seems like the simplest solution to me.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 PM  

Brete, I wasn't being hostile about you in this post. I was being hostile and upset towards the double standards about how we dare to have negative campaign literature while at the same time you can look back at how the people doing the mud slinging should look at themselves before judging our actions. Do you agree that I was disenfranchised in this situation?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:18 AM  

equalvoice, if evreything you said was true, and I have no reason to doubt you, yes.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!