Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2008, 10:12 AM  
LMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
I'm trying to get you to tell us how many of these aweesome $25,000 per day jobs are going to be created. background cast and crew ain't in that group. Those are the low wage pool that nobody has disputed and nobody wants. We want careers, not "months of work."
You clearly did not read the initial post as I was giving a range of sorts of jobs – “not saying everyone will make $20.000 a day obviously… who have rec’d up to $37,000 “ was my initial advocacy. You are honing on one statement and twisting it while at the same time ignoring how the whole plan fits together and all of the other arguments that I make because that is the only critique you do have besides using club words such as "day labor." So, I ask you along the same lines…Can you tell me how many high paying executive, CEO jobs the incumbent can create or has created, if he actually had a plan.

Look from today’s paper – Michigan is maintaining its students and providing jobs in a slumping economy
“In addition to filling Michigan restaurants, bars and hotels, the state's film incentive has an added effect: Keeping young, creative, educated people in Michigan.
"It's given me a job, and it's opened up a lot of doors, and it's given me some better opportunities for work," Zakalik said. "I don't know if it's necessarily going to last for more than a few years, but I'll stay here for as long as I'm getting work, and it's paying well."”

http://www.mlive.com/annarbornews/bu...r_um_film.html

Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
Well Immis you probably don't own a small business in this town. Or, perhaps you have never had an experience supporting a challenger candidate in this community.

And, considering that the discussion threads on this board harrying me on the sign issue - my thread is a relevant response. Also, I think your post demonstrates your lack of understanding of other subtleties in this town and I’m not going to elaborate because you clearly are not open to dialogue because it is "so beyond your thinking." And, your post demonstrates your naivet? of how others are encouraged to stay apolitical.
Best of luck w/your candidate, an incumbent who has created (0) jobs in three years, provided no fresh perspective on municipal governance, has wasted your money going on trips for training and clearly does not have the job training front for our citizens thought through. Maybe you and your candidate should do a little research on the job training issue

Well lmc (and I dont capitalize this any longer cause I have lost all respect for you) maybe I do own a small business in this town! And YES I HAVE supported a challenger candidate in this community. I was all for you and once again I havent decided who ( or maybe I have after seeing your post) who I was going to support.
So if you think by coming on this board and getting all uppity on people that ask questions of you and try ( and heavy on the try) to put them down and challenge their ethics well then lady, you got another thing coming!
And maybe you and your staff should do a little research on the jobs that will make San Marcos a better place to live. Move to austin with all the rest of the movie wannabees!
Officially , with this one post you have lost my vote. And trust me I have copied it and put it in a word document so that I can show everyone I know through e-mail and in person how when a member of this community asks you questions or in some form disagrees with you, your only recourse is to try and put them down. Pathetic!!

BTW.... You were the person that brought the sign issue up... Maybe you should have kept your mouth shut! What were we to do? Read it and think about it? And not reply? I doubt it!

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 10-12-2008, 10:31 AM  
LMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immis View Post
Well lmc (and I dont capitalize this any longer cause I have lost all respect for you) maybe I do own a small business in this town! And YES I HAVE supported a challenger candidate in this community. I was all for you and once again I havent decided who ( or maybe I have after seeing your post) who I was going to support.
So if you think by coming on this board and getting all uppity on people that ask questions of you and try ( and heavy on the try) to put them down and challenge their ethics well then lady, you got another thing coming!
And maybe you and your staff should do a little research on the jobs that will make San Marcos a better place to live. Move to austin with all the rest of the movie wannabees!
Officially , with this one post you have lost my vote. And trust me I have copied it and put it in a word document so that I can show everyone I know through e-mail and in person how when a member of this community asks you questions or in some form disagrees with you, your only recourse is to try and put them down. Pathetic!!
Nice job of snipping the posts to delete both your advocacy and mine which points to the notion that at CONA the incumbent was not aware that ACC is providing job training here in San Marcos. I am sure your word document will be credible - glad you are working on the Issues here in San Marcos Immus. Sorry you think it is "pathetic" that I am involved on this board - or maybe it is just because someone disagrees with you.

http://www.mlive.com/annarbornews/bu..._boost_fr.html

“While the movie "Youth in Revolt" was filming in downtown Ann Arbor last summer, the crew spent about $3,000 on French bistro-style furniture, a few dozen sun hats and other items from Downtown Home on South Ashley Street. Sweetwaters sold them rounds of coffee and tea drinks, in addition to pastries, muffins and other quick food items.
In addition, more than 100 crew members were given $20 a day to spend on lunch in downtown Ann Arbor, pumping an estimated $8,000 into the cash registers of such places as Cafe Zola and the Fleetwood Diner, according to the Ann Arbor Area Convention & Visitors Bureau.
"Those are the direct things," Downtown Home owner Mark Hodesh said about purchases the movie crew made from his store. "There were also people standing around watching, so we had lots of new people in our parking lot. ... Everyone found time to pause in their travels and watch it, marvel at it. It was good for downtown."
Indeed, six months after Michigan began handing out the nation's most generous moviemaking incentives, results are surpassing lofty expectations.””
Old 10-12-2008, 10:52 AM  

San Marcos
Quote:
You clearly did not read the initial post as I was giving a range of sorts of jobs ? ?not saying everyone will make $20.000 a day obviously? who have rec?d up to $37,000 ? was my initial advocacy. You are honing on one statement
Yes, I am honing in on it, because the $75 to $150 per day for a few months jobs have NO VALUE. Even if they were $150 per day for years at a time, they would still pay less than most careers college grads are looking for. They would still pay less than I am currently offering ENTRY LEVEL software developers.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:56 AM  

San Marcos
Quote:
“While the movie "Youth in Revolt" was filming in downtown Ann Arbor last summer, the crew spent about $3,000 on French bistro-style furniture, a few dozen sun hats and other items from Downtown Home on South Ashley Street. Sweetwaters sold them rounds of coffee and tea drinks, in addition to pastries, muffins and other quick food items.
In addition, more than 100 crew members were given $20 a day to spend on lunch in downtown Ann Arbor, pumping an estimated $8,000 into the cash registers of such places as Cafe Zola and the Fleetwood Diner, according to the Ann Arbor Area Convention & Visitors Bureau.
Our economy is $2 BILLION per year. $11,000 in retail spending isn't ****. We get 100x that in sales tax alone every month already, so, unless there are going to be dozens of movies shooting every month, it is not going to do anything to advance our economy and even if there were dozens of films shot every month in San Marcos, that would not lead to the hundreds (thousands actually) of careers that we need to bring to San Marcos.

Frankly, I find the fact that you had to ask me who the large employers in town are and how to retain them and entice them to expand, to be VERY discouraging. This is pretty basic stuff for anyone who wants to hold public office.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:31 AM  

Quote:
Nice job of snipping the posts to delete both your advocacy and mine which points to the notion that at CONA the incumbent was not aware that ACC is providing job training here in San Marcos. I am sure your word document will be credible - glad you are working on the Issues here in San Marcos Immus. Sorry you think it is "pathetic" that I am involved on this board - or maybe it is just because someone disagrees with you.

You can go back to read the original post lmc... That was not deleated. I deleated some parts of the post so everyone wouldnt have to read your whinning... cause at this point that is what it sounds like. My first post to you was an honest question and apparently made you freak out. This is my original post. And this is where we have ended up? Good Job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immis View Post
Regarding the film industry. Friday Night Lights films alot here in San Marcos. How many "Locals" have been in one of their productions? Besides "unpaid extras" I dont think many have. Please correct me if Im wrong.
So if you are voted into council ( something I seriously doubt at this point) when someone disagrees with you are you gonna try and put them down? In my case... I was just defending myself against all of your ranting

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:51 AM  

Attack Dogs

I used to think Chris Jones was a total coward for not entering the fray on this forum, which he has been aware of and invited to join. Now I think maybe he's smarter than I thought. I still think he's as useless as our mayor but original ideas seem to trigger a mad dog response (anonymous rage) from a number of members here that would deter any but the bravest from getting involved. It would be a great under statement to say that some on this forum are self-centered, narrow-minded and occasionally delusional.
The incumbents in this election are running on failed ideas with little or no results. The outlet malls (the first of which was here long before anyone now in local office) are placed according to economic/geographic location analysis and nothing will alter the chosen location. No elected official has anything to do with any jobs created by the malls. I have yet to meet anyone making $13 an hour at the malls. I assume that figure is the "employer cost" number, including insurance and benefits and other things most of the employees who are part time don't get.
If the incumbents you support couldn't bring high paying, high tech jobs here in a good economy, how crazy is it to demand a challenger attempt the same in what is being called "the greatest economic crisis of all time". Ignoring reality has never helpful. Returning Chris Jones and his failed "Cliff's Notes" economic policies to office is insanity.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 AM  

San Marcos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
If the incumbents you support couldn't bring high paying, high tech jobs here in a good economy, how crazy is it to demand a challenger attempt the same in what is being called "the greatest economic crisis of all time".
LMC is not proposing to bring any high paying jobs to town. High paying jobs are $50-100k per year. That's $25-50 per hour, for those who like to look at hourly wages and $200-400 per day, for those who like the new math. And, they are jobs that keep people working all year, not just for a few days or months.

$13 per hour is not high paying, no matter where those jobs have been allegedly created. I have stated that many times already.

I've asked, repeatedly, how many of these $25,000 per day jobs she would bring to town, as they are the only ones that might qualify as high paying, but I get no answer, just a bunch of bobbing and weaving and misdirection.

I've also asked how she intends to get any of this done, when nobody else on Council appears interested. For that matter, why does she need to be in office to get it done?
Old 10-12-2008, 01:18 PM  

i'll take low paying jobs over no jobs. chris jones has been worthless, it's dishearting to see support for him. i don't know much about lmc or how feasable her ideas are but voting for jones because lmc will be a distraction? that's dishearting, no wonder our city is where it is when voters think this way. "seeing the problem" is meaningless when you can't bring forth anything to solve it.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:48 PM  

The New New Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
LMC is not proposing to bring any high paying jobs to town. High paying jobs are $50-100k per year. That's $25-50 per hour, for those who like to look at hourly wages and $200-400 per day, for those who like the new math. And, they are jobs that keep people working all year, not just for a few days or months.

I've asked, repeatedly, how many of these $25,000 per day jobs she would bring to town, as they are the only ones that might qualify as high paying, but I get no answer, just a bunch of bobbing and weaving and misdirection.

I've also asked how she intends to get any of this done, when nobody else on Council appears interested. For that matter, why does she need to be in office to get it done?
I don't know where you get your news, scooter, but high paying jobs aren't moving anywhere. They're disappearing. Read the Economics 101 thread (it's only a fraction of what's going down). What has Chris Jones done to bring such jobs here? You appear to be advocating the failed policies of Jones over change and a realistic approach to bringing jobs here that can and will exist in a severely distressed economy. You keep demanding specific numbers of an esoteric industry. Get those numbers from Mr. Jones for the specific jobs in specific fields that he has or will bring here. Notice the silence. He has failed miserably, and so has the mayor. The economy has tanked and we need change.
For that matter, why does anybody need to be in office. The city council has obviously failed you personally. They haven't created a high paying job in town for you or raised the value of your home (your two areas of prime concern). In another year your house might be worth half what it is now. When you finally realize that Jones et al have failed it will be too late, if it isn't too late now. The news today is of the government buying bank stock, essentially nationalizing the banking system. That's a last resort measure to avert total meltdown. I don't know what Lisa Marie and Dave can do on a local level to offset the economic debacle bush has handed us, but I'd rather have someone who is willing to try something different than someone who keeps trying the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.