Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2008, 10:30 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
Nice job of snipping the posts to delete both your advocacy and mine which points to the notion that at CONA the incumbent was not aware that ACC is providing job training here in San Marcos.

I was curious about this so I did some research on the matter. Apparently Chris Jones is well aware of ACC being here in San Marcos. He has spoken to several ACC classes and has been in contact with them. He is looking into the funding of this so it can be accessible to all San Marcos residents. Which I think is an outstanding idea and is really needed here in San Marcos. Just my 2 cents

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 AM  

I agree Immis that ACC would be a good thing. However, will you be willing to pay an additional 10 cents per per $100. tax increase on your property for this privilege? I would not. This is the increase they proposed the last time. I am all for an ACC expansion in Hays Co. but they would need to get that increase down to about 2-3 cents before I would vote for it. What would you say if the city increased your taxes by 10 cents? There would probably be a revolt. All local politicians better think about this while they push for this deal of promising an ACC campus in SM. What do they say about this in the campaign?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:10 PM  

Swisher,
I agree the taxes do have to come down before I vote for it. Our taxes are through the roof already. But it is a good thing for San Marcos, although we have to find alternative ways to pay for it.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 PM  

Agreed. But do the council candidates/mayor support it with the current tax rate impact and would they vote to have the referendum with this rate? I think the answer is YES, and that scares me.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM  

I dont know but that is a very good question to be asked at next mondays debate

Old 10-14-2008, 07:07 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
They don't need to be big companies, but we need to start attracting better jobs. We have big companies here already and there is no excuse for our city council not to know the people running those offices and, ideally, at least have met the leadership at those companies.

If the city got together with the university and identified a vertical that tied in well with the skills of our graduates, which was already represented either in San Marcos or in the corridor, we could certainly attract new businesses from that vertical through a joint effort, even if they were small businesses. There would just need to be a lot more if they were small and by small, I mean 50-100 employees, not 5-10 employees.

Used properly, the convention center can also help to build awareness about San Marcos as it relates to certain industries we want to promote here.

The companies that are already here would almost certainly benefit from a larger talent pool as well, so there may be some opportunity to work with existing businesses to do some joint PR.

MBNA moved their headquarters to Belfast, Maine (population 6,000) because of little more than the hospitality the CEO was shown when he was in town.
First of all I've been to Belfast Maine (semi, did you know that over 20 different cruise ships make Belfast one of their major port of calls?), I have friends (that LOVE our San Marcos River) that live there and I refered your comment about MBNA's reasons for relocating to Belfast and they not only laughed but split their sides at your unlawful use of disinformation. Anyone who really cares to review to the spreadsheets instead of semi's vapors, google Belfast Maine and see why any CEO would want to relocate there.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 PM  

ACC Warning

Keep in mind that if ACC succeeds in annexing us into their service area and implimenting a tax we'll have no voice in what our tax rate is. They can come in at 2 - 3 cents and bump it to 10 the next day. And they would make no commitments as to what facilities they would build. ACC is one of the scariest initiatives to come across our desk in the last 10 years.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:47 PM  

San Marcos
Uh, yeah, I've been to Belfast, Maine many, many, many, many times.

As usual, it is impossible to determine what you are trying to say with your post anyway. Perhaps you are saying that Belfast is better than San Marcos? That San Marcos does not have anything to draw jobs to town?

Interesting.

Why don't you give us all the straight dope about how MBNA ended up with such a strong presence in a number of small Maine towns?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:13 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow skunk View Post
Keep in mind that if ACC succeeds in annexing us into their service area and implimenting a tax we'll have no voice in what our tax rate is. They can come in at 2 - 3 cents and bump it to 10 the next day. And they would make no commitments as to what facilities they would build. ACC is one of the scariest initiatives to come across our desk in the last 10 years.
YK, thank u 4 joining and redirecting me to what ranks a tad higher than who gets elected to tell others where the latrine is located. YK, please enlighten me, why can not the city operate ACC like any other business that comes to town? All others have to pay property and sales tax, why not ACC? Our local schools we are willing to pay for (within $ reason) but do we pay TxSt tax dollars?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:21 PM  

San Marcos
As I suspected. YOU have never been to Belfast, or probably anywhere in Maine and YOU have no idea how MBNA came to be the seventh largest employer in Maine, with thousands of employees and a HUGE impact even beyond the people they employ.

You have no idea how they got there, so you are changing the subject to something other than bringing jobs to San Marcos. How expected.

Thanks for the "unlawful use of disinformation" comment, too. I haven't heard that since, well since Jeepster said it. Or was it Pythonlee? I just can't recall.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads