Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM  

Excuse Me

I don't think you are being targeted by myself or Pythonlee regarding Chris Jones. I don't know his record of personal accomplishments while on the city council and asked about that as an open request. I checked his web site and got the usual "championed" everything that passed and he's for everything that most citizens are for routine. I think he's way off on mass transit for San Marcos. That's a financial quagmire in much larger cities for many reasons.
Since this is a forum and not a chat room I don't think it is suspicious that someone might exit while you expect a rebuttal.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 PM  

San Marcos
I don't recall saying I was being targeted by anyone.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:44 AM  

sidewalks

according to his web site chris jones is all for sidewalks. isn't he an incumbant. why is this still an issue. sure past councils are to blame, but that includes his. this city wastes money left and right (branding?). city crews are sitting on their butts all day. crews not otherwise scheduled should be pooled and put to work on sidewalk duty until it is no longer an issue because there are sidewalks everywhere they are needed or can physically be built. sidewalks are not that expensive. utilizing down time for city employees maximizes tax dollar yield and cross trains crews. anyone who has been around sm for a while knows of the shed, the garage and other hangouts for city crews with nothing to do. what this city needs is a handicapped person with an attitude and a good lawyer to kick their butt. this has been an issue all my life. jones had his chance and failed to impress.
here's a brand - we care enough about our citizens that they don't have to walk out in the street.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:36 AM  

Not to be seen as a Chris Jones supporter, but have you priced sidewalks lately? Doing all the sidewalks we need in a short span of time would be as irresponsible as building the loop to no where at the expense of every city department. With the prodding of Thomaides and some others, street widenings and other street rennovations have largely been coming with sidewalks and bike lanes. Part of the job of governing in the real world is balancing various neeeds in a way that does not overburden the local taxpayers. Anytime a candidate sounds too good to be true, they probably are.

I was definitely in Moe's camp three years ago, but Jones has seemed to improve and learn on the job. He has also seemed to buck the mayor more frequently. But, I'm not saying I'll vote for him, yet.

What does his opponet mean by ecotourism as it applies to San Marcos?
It's still a rather broad term that can mean many things. How does she plan to pay for her new spending (no kill shelter and such)? Raise taxes or cuts? If cuts be specific.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:15 PM  

price of sidewalks

when do you expect the price of sidewalks to come down? as i said, if our councils had done their job this would not be an issue. the only sidewalk issue at this point in time should be maintenance and repair. for some of our worst situations there should be an adopt a sidewalk or volunteer arrangement. encourage donations of money, material and labor. there has never been an innovative approach to this problem in sm. sidewalks are a narrow, thin ribbon of concrete with reinforcing wire. it ain't rocket science. the longer we put the job off the more expensive it will become.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:35 PM  

I agree with your ideas about SM being complacent with regards to sidewalks and bike paths. It takes a council who is committed and puts their money where their mouth is. Brete is right about the price as well.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:09 PM  

mysterious return

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
Then, Pythonlee mysteriously disappeared and now you're here.
Geez, there was almost a two hour time period between my last comment and marelee putting in her two cents. Is the sun rising every day a mystery to you?

Back to topic - I went to the Chris Jones website to see what his record is.
Other than wasting an unspecified amount on "branding", not much. He apparently thinks economic growth means corraling big bidness and dragging them to SM. Don't work that way. Never did. Small business is where local job growth is. He is ambiguously for every text book development plan, downtown master (hint, let the realtors and property owners do it), commuter rail and mass transit. A little early there. Okay, he does say that he "believes it is time" to think about addressing the bike path/sidewalk problem. Hey, thanks for being the last person to jump on that bandwagon.
Now I admit I don't follow the council goings on too closely. I expect them to do what is necessary and not screw up royally. It's their job, not mine. But, when they run for reelection they have a record. Every incumbent has a record, like it or not, a crown or an albatross, and that is what they must be judged by. Jones is pretty vague on his record. He's pretty vague on his ideas for the future. If I had an advertising firm I'd sure expect a lot of business from him. First rule of advertising - don't tell the client he's wasting good money. Especially if it's not his. He doesn't blow his own horn on much of anything I'd call an accomplishment. His plans for the future are purposely vague and a little grandiose. Seems like he's running on the "incumbent's edge" platform.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:21 PM  

cured of jones

i got dizzy trying to get anything solid off of jones' website. actually, the mayor's is about the same, but that's another thread. jones seems like he's using a cliff's notes outline for his platform. unfortunately it's an outline for a much bigger city. newman seems to understand that it's stupid to run around trying to drag business here. jones may know that too but figure it's good press. branding, what a load. what is that, brochures and late night cable promos, 'come grow with us in beautiful san marcos'? how many sidewalks would that pave. i think the guy is all talk. he may be a hard worker, but that doesn't mean the results are any good. i consider his web site a huge strike against him. the more i read it the less i liked him. unless he cures the common cold and ends poverty i'm ready to get this jones off my back.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:10 PM  

the importance of being ernest

I can't put my finger on it but something about Chris Jones puts me off. He's too hard working, too involved, too damned ernest. He's a joiner and a ticket puncher, most young politicians are. And that's the first thing I don't like, he is a politician. He's not just a concerned citizen doing his duty, he's obviously looking towards a career in politics. That's probably why he's way ahead of the curve on some issues like mass transit and commuter rail as regards San Marcos. They're not real issues here yet, sidewalks and bike lanes and paths are. But mass transit will play to a larger audience in a bigger arena where sidewalks are too small an issue. Lisa Marie may be light on the big issues, but that's fine with me. I want the little issues to get resolved and they need someone to herd them through the council. I think Jones is searching for a higher office and just hasn't found it yet.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 PM  

San Marcos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonlee View Post
Geez, there was almost a two hour time period between my last comment and marelee putting in her two cents. Is the sun rising every day a mystery to you?
Actually, nothing going on here is a mystery to me.

So, to ask my question again, what is it that Jones should have done, that he has not? What is your issue with his record?

I don't know why I even ask. Based on what I have seen, Jones might as well be running unopposed. She does not seem to have the campaign organization/experience/expertise that I expect to see with Jones and her platform seems somewhat lacking.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!