Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2005, 03:21 PM  

Haircuts?

I'm looking for a good barber. Just moved here and I can't find one.

Any suggestions? I don't want a salon.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:28 PM  

haircuts

I used this place last time and was very pleased with the hair cut. Beauty by Sherri by appt. only 512-396-0963
Old 09-30-2005, 10:14 PM  
A2

If your looking for a BARBER...Go see my boy Rudy at Lamars Barber shop on the sqaure. A couple of doors down from Valentinos Pizza Parlor.

Voted best Barber shop in Hays County for like 100 years.

Plus you can get a real close shave for 10 bucks...

A2
Old 07-24-2007, 10:15 AM  

clipper fades?

What's with that "barber shop" that opened across from the mexican food place on MLK? Is it a true place of business or a squat house? Do all barbers cut all hair types? I'm looking for a place that does clipper hair designs on kids.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 AM  

San Marcos
I've never really cared for Lamar's. I used to go to Sanchez Barber Shop, over on Invasion St (I think), but it looks like he has shut down. I stopped going years ago, because his hours were getting shorter and shorter. He may have retired or died, but I do not know.

There is (was?) another barber across from Garcia's and I went there until I started working outside of San Marcos. Now, I get my hair cut in the big city. Heh.

Anyway, the place across from Garcia's does good clipper cuts, although I never got any designs done. There was a big guy there, who looked like he might have learned to use the clippers in prison. Great cuts.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 PM  

Looks like someone else beat me to it, Rudy over at Lamar's Barber Shop on the Square is the one to see. Lamar's is the last of the old time barber shops and it's the bomb!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:12 AM  
A2

I've got one more to mention.
It's out in the middle of nowhere, but well worth the drive.

Silva's in Staples Texas.

Take C.R. 621 behind the high school and follow it out about 8 miles. You'll come to the thriving metropolis that is Staples Texas ( acutally it's a town of about 75 people ). In downtown you'll find a general store and a baber shop...That's it.

The barber shop is about the size of a small bedroom and every inch of it is covered with various articles about the family and it's history.

Haircuts are 7 bucks and you will not be dissapointed. I got my first one there last week and it was one of the best I've had in a long time.

Staples is a cool little burg.

( I believe that Silva's has a shop in S.M. also...may be the one across from Garcias )
Anyone know for sure ?????
Old 07-25-2007, 09:43 PM  

A2 -
Haircut $7
Gas to Staples $???

That had better be one heck of a barber!

I gave up and bought clippers years ago. My 6 year old has a 4-inch tall mohawk (1/4" long everywhere else) and I have a sort of flat top thing going. Nothing beats $30 for a set of clippers and guards spread out over 5 years! That's what I call C-H-E-A-P, baby!

I wonder if the local elementary schools in San Marcos would make my boy cut his hair to be less "eccentric". I was surprised it was tolerated while he was in Kindergarten, even here in Cali. I live in the most conservative area of California, so it was a legit concern and nobody cared.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:01 AM  
A2

Deisel in my "work" F350 SuperDuty Turbo Charged Power Stroke.....$1.00

Gas in my wifes "commuter" Ford Escape.....$0.025

You'll find that Texas is, what some people call, "a really big state", with a lot of really cool stuff to see spread out over its 250,000+ square miles. If saving money on gas is an issue for you, I would try a smaller state in New England, or just move to Houston.

I drive to Round Rock once a week to go skate. It's about 100 miles round trip.
Takes me longer to drive up there and back than the time I spend skateboarding. And I love it. ( I don't even know, or care, how much it cost me to drive up there)
Old 07-27-2007, 09:37 AM  

Hey A-2 what's the Sat. hours and cost at Lamar's? Thought I would try something other than a burr for the first time in about 4 years. repeater 75, your right about the clippers. Hadn't paid for a hair cut in about 6 years.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!