Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 AM  

Read his website spin boy.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:31 AM  

San Marcos
Wait. How do I get to the website? Is there a link somewhere?

And I thought the tree guy was bad.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:34 AM  

San Marcos
BTW, still no answer on any of the questions I have posed. No position on anything. Just a budding political machine. Thank god he'll be gone in a couple of years.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:38 AM  

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:24 PM  

The Web site is here. http://www.judeprather.com/
Old 11-02-2007, 04:02 PM  

notdescript, his web site doesn't give ANY specific information (at least it didn't last week). I went to the debate on campus hoping to get some sense of what he stood for, and all he did was talk a lot without actually saying anything. Well, that's not exactly true, he sure is proud of being involved with the name change for the school. BFD. Until I hear Prather line out what his vision is, I'm not voting for him. Take a stand on something. Show me that you have some plan. He might be the nicest person in the world, but he hasn't given me any reason to overcome my suspicion of his youth and inexperience. What ideas does he have that will help both the permanent residents of SM and the students? What kind of development does he want? Development gets thrown around as a nasty word, but in reality we all want _some_. What is his idea of good development? I don't think anyone on this forum is asking for anything unreasonable.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM  

San Marcos
Forget it. There are no answers coming.

I wouldn't brag too much about the name change, given the overwhelming opposition from local alumni, unless he is forewarning everyone that once in office, he will be ignoring the wishes of the voters.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:50 PM  

Eljefe, I offered to others who had similiar suspicions to shoot me their phone number so Jude can call you and discuss it himself. my e-mail is bradrollins@yahoo.com. His is judeprather@gmail.com. Not trying to dodge, but that's really a question only Jude can answer.

BTW, you say that everyone wants some development. I dont think thats quite true. I'd be fine if San Marcos stayed the way it is today from now on except for (1) it ain't happening and the only ways to preserve local character is to be in control of development and (2) the status quo IS NOT WORKING for the third of our town that lives below the poverty line with few prospects for getting above it. Money isn't everything but it's easier for people who are comfortable to say that than those worrying about feeding the kiddos until the 1st and 15th. I know this is not topical to what you are asking for in terms of specifics but I know Jude would love to talk it over. Brad Rollins

-- I don't know anything about the name change. I'm not and have never been a Texas State student. Also, someone asked yesterday when Jude is graduating. I said I thought it is May but correct answer is December 2008.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:10 PM  

San Marcos
I'd be curious how many of that 1/3 below the poverty level are students working at the outlet mall or local bars, etc. I was well below the poverty level in college and I'm far from it now.

The question is, what jobs will he bring here for the graduates, to keep them here and what will he do to help the folks who never sniffed a college textbook? What is the plan? How will he attract these jobs? How will he lift people out of poverty?

My best guess is that there are 60,000 people, students (SWT) or not, living in San Marcos and most of the students are below the poverty level. So, out of the 20,000 that are below that level, 10,000 of them are not college students and probably not recent grads. If, worst case, none of them are students, then there are 15-20,000 people with no degrees, living in poverty. What is Jude going to do for them? If he gets high-tech jobs for the grads and people like me and gets more grads to stay around, the percentage in poverty may drop, but those 10,000 people (20,000?) will be no better off.

Rather than ask for phone numbers, why don't you just get some answers on here? You'd reach a far larger audience in one sitting.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:42 PM  

I don't know exactly how students figure into the poverty statistics. I'm sure the student population skews the median income quite a bit. There is still plenty to be concerned about. In 1999, the most recent data I am aware of, 18.1 percent of families with children under 18 lived below the federal poverty line, whatever it was at the time. A little more than 15 percent of people older than 65 lived in poverty.

All of this is here in a 2000 Census Bureau summary: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...ng=en&-_sse=on

The good news is that the median income increased from about $25,8000 in 2000 to a projected $31,000 or so today so it is fortunate that some people are at least making nominally more. I dont know if they do percent-under-the-poverty-line projections between censuses. anyone?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!