Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2007, 06:06 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdescript View Post
Eljefe, I offered to others who had similiar suspicions to shoot me their phone number so Jude can call you and discuss it himself. my e-mail is bradrollins@yahoo.com. His is judeprather@gmail.com. Not trying to dodge, but that's really a question only Jude can answer.
Thats funny cause I have two neighbors that have e-mailed jude questions or concerns and he has yet to answer any of their questions or concerns. I guess thats where you get not answering questions from

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:11 PM  

I'm sorry if we didn't get back to your neighbors. No one should have to call twice to reach Jude but since I do not know who you're talking about, please forward this to them or have them e-mail judeprather@gmail.com or call (512) 878.1955 (yes it's one of those irritating answering machines.)

By the way, Immis, I like your little icon with the eye peeping through the hole. Do you think it's Fire Marshal Ken Bell checking to see if I'm using a code-defying space heater? Or maybe former Planning Director Carol Barrett "counting wet toothbrushes" as she once famously said would be the most certain way of proving violations of single-family home residency restrictions. It was scary even though she was kidding (i hope).

Old 11-02-2007, 08:31 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
I'd be curious how many of that 1/3 below the poverty level are students working at the outlet mall or local bars, etc. I was well below the poverty level in college and I'm far from it now.

The question is, what jobs will he bring here for the graduates, to keep them here and what will he do to help the folks who never sniffed a college textbook? What is the plan? How will he attract these jobs? How will he lift people out of poverty?

My best guess is that there are 60,000 people, students (SWT) or not, living in San Marcos and most of the students are below the poverty level. So, out of the 20,000 that are below that level, 10,000 of them are not college students and probably not recent grads. If, worst case, none of them are students, then there are 15-20,000 people with no degrees, living in poverty. What is Jude going to do for them? If he gets high-tech jobs for the grads and people like me and gets more grads to stay around, the percentage in poverty may drop, but those 10,000 people (20,000?) will be no better off.

Rather than ask for phone numbers, why don't you just get some answers on here? You'd reach a far larger audience in one sitting.
So you are trying to blame the poverty in this town on students now? Have you never been down to barrio pescado? I swear it seems like most people on this msg board have a knee jerk reaction to blame all the ills of San Marcos on students. It is a shame that most of you are so narrow in your view of the issues in this town that you never delve deeper into the problems affecting your community. Blaming problems on a young minority group, students only make up about 12,000 of the 50,000 residents here, is just a way to ignore the real issues that cause problems in this community.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:52 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
notdescript, his web site doesn't give ANY specific information (at least it didn't last week). I went to the debate on campus hoping to get some sense of what he stood for, and all he did was talk a lot without actually saying anything. Well, that's not exactly true, he sure is proud of being involved with the name change for the school. BFD. Until I hear Prather line out what his vision is, I'm not voting for him. Take a stand on something. Show me that you have some plan. He might be the nicest person in the world, but he hasn't given me any reason to overcome my suspicion of his youth and inexperience. What ideas does he have that will help both the permanent residents of SM and the students? What kind of development does he want? Development gets thrown around as a nasty word, but in reality we all want _some_. What is his idea of good development? I don't think anyone on this forum is asking for anything unreasonable.
Question, who was the audience at the txstate debate? Students. What type of issue would students want to hear about? An issue that has touched their own lives. Many of those kids at that debate may not have even came here if the name had not been changed. I mean seriously do you think jude should talk to them about issues that don't effect them?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:56 PM  

Also I would like to clear something up about the "phone spam" and claims on the front page about it. Surveys do not violate any clause of the Do Not Call legislation as long as they are not trying to sell something. Also the calls begin with the phrase identifying who is doing the poll. People claiming it does not are lying. If you do not want to talk to people or answer the phone get rid of your phone line.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:38 PM  

San Marcos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.heggie View Post
So you are trying to blame the poverty in this town on students now?

Obviously you did not read my post very carefully. Try again.

Notdescript understood it, so I know I was clear enough.

Notdescript, you are correct, there is a big problem. My question was, what is the solution that Jude would bring? No more than half of those in poverty are going to be college students or recent grads and therefore many will not benefit from the high tech jobs I hear mentioned.

Also, I have not heard how Jude will bring ANY jobs here.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:45 PM  

Eric, I think what he is saying is that the concentrated student population, because some of them do not earn income, distorts the poverty number. What I pointed out were the numbers for families and the elderly in poverty, groups that are going to contain relatively few current university students. I do think there are people who live up on the hill that very rarely ever go to Victory Gardens, East Guadalupe, Wallace, Sunset Acres and Rio Vista and may not be completely aware of how things are there.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:55 PM  

San Marcos
I know there is a problem. I've been here a long time and I've known people from all parts of this town and I've lived in some of them myself, including several stints on Haynes St and a brief period on Railroad.

My question is, what is Jude going to do to help them? What jobs will he bring? How?

Surely, you have an answer. A plan. A position.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 PM  

San Marcos
Since you've been lurking in this thread for 20 minutes and haven't replied, I guess the answer is no.

Too bad. I was very enthusiastic about the prospect of a candidate posting his or her positions in these forums, but I guess that will have to wait for another election.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:30 PM  

San Marcos

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.