Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 PM  

I was reviewing some of the issues brought up on here with Jude.

Jude wants distribution, manufacturing and technology jobs. He thinks it's an empty promise to say he's going to bring any jobs of any sort here as a city council member. The jobs are going to come as a result of the market and the councils task is guide that process into the kind of jobs that provide living wages and will not endanger the environment. He thinks tax incentives are certainly a viable way of recruiting and retaining businesses but that we can't fritter way future tax revenue for every caller. Companies that locate here are signing on to San Marcos for who we are but it is also a reality that say a widget manufacturer that wants to move in and bring 200 $20-an-hour machinist jobs with it has many options for places to go.

I don't know if this fills your order for specificity but it outlines things he's said before about what he believes on the subject.

This is from me: I can see Jude hanging out downtown or the river or wherever with site selectors visiting San Marcos as a way to both sell the community and communicate what kind of place we are. I think Jude will represent San Marcos well and can market the community as an attractive and energetic place.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:40 PM  

Old 11-02-2007, 10:49 PM  

San Marcos
Thanks.

I'm not sure why it took so many days to get an answer.

How do you attract the attention of these companies to begin with? Did Seton ($438 million and 4600 jobs) look at San Marcos, before they settled on Kyle? If so, why did we lose out? If not, why not and why would the next company look here?

There are actually already quite a few of those jobs here and there are certainly plenty within commuting distance. Are you saying that the people in San Marcos who are below the poverty level can't get them because there aren't enough here or in the area? Is there no other issue here? Are they qualified for jobs that pay well, or do we need some sort of job training program? What can we do better at the high school level to get kids into college or into a trade? How can we encourage our residents to start their own businesses?
Old 11-03-2007, 05:23 AM  

The "Who Lost Seton" question is one of those that might can be pieced together with bits of info from various people. I have the impression they looked at San Marcos nominally but we did not have much of a chance because, among other things, hospitals aren't interested in Medicaid hotspots.

The mayor at one point started a Health Industry taskforce as an arm of the Economic Development Council but the health task force unraveled (along with the Economic Development Council itself) when the council -- including Mr. Bose -- voted to punitively take the economic development services contract away from the chamber of commerce and give it to a private company. (In my view, the company was at best nominally qualified for the job after nearly all of its partners jumped ship within a month of being awarded the contract.) They did get someone who seemed to me to be a competent economic development director at some point but Kim Moore, as you may have read, just left for a job in Dallas. It's an open question how much that whole shenanigan set San Marcos back.

Fortunately for Jude -- or Mr Bose if he is re-elected -- the issue is settled now that the contract is back at the chamber and we can focus on moving forward. St. David's has also been rumored to be looking at a North San Marcos location for some time.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:47 PM  

Norton, Why do you keep referencing Jude's finance report and have not posted it as you said you would. Is it because you know there is a grand total of TWO out of town donations? (one of which was from his parents, who are not evil developers). I hope the city survives the onslaught.

Perhaps you do not post Mr. Bose's reports because you know they show that (1) Mr. Bose accepts developer money too rendering your argument specious and (2) Mr. Bose somehow FAILED TO ACCOUNT FOR MORE THAN $1,000 when he submitted his report to the city clerk. He had to file a sworn affidavit to make the report accurate.

I'm amused that you claim to believe in the freeflow of information but then fail to provide the resources you promised so people can make their own decisions.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:28 PM  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mayor is the one who had the solid majority on council, including the student, and these things aren't done. She is also supporting your candidate, why should anyone expect anything different fom your guy?
Old 11-04-2007, 03:46 PM  

We haven't seen much from the Council or Mayor in terms of effectiveness solving our problems but I'm in the same ballpark after learning the Mayor is supporting Prather and Porterfield. I live in Sagewood and even though the Mayor has the votes to get anything she wants done nothing in our neighborhood has changed.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:01 PM  

Mayor Narvaiz supports Jude but so do former Mayors Habbengraither, Chiu, Rodriguez, Cavazos and Etheredge. Narvaiz beat Habbengraither and Habbengraither beat Chiu. Jude seeks to be the representative of the entire community.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:35 PM  

San Marcos
SMVoter, as a Sagewood resident, what solution would you like to see? Most (all?) of the comments I have seen or heard from Sagewood are from people who say there is no problem and they are being persecuted. I figured there were residents who wanted to see a change too, but I never hear from them.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:05 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdescript View Post
Mayor Narvaiz supports Jude but so do former Mayors Habbengraither, Chiu, Rodriguez, Cavazos and Etheredge. Narvaiz beat Habbengraither and Habbengraither beat Chiu. Jude seeks to be the representative of the entire community.
Which still leaves unaswered, why should we expect anything different from Prather. He is supported by all these people who failed to address the problems, you have pointed out, as mayor.

Where's the change? Sounds like a rubber stamp for more of the same.
New roads for new neighborhoods while the rest of us watch them get built.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!