Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2005, 06:53 AM  
BigSexy

This is typical, just someone else who thinks everyone owes them something because they don't want to take responsibility for their own actions.

You know what, maybe this is good. They should get damages for acting like a f*ckstick, and then they should be sued for the loss of income and negative publicity caused by Mr. Jackass jumping off the balcony.

Only seems fair. Wake up America!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:46 AM  
cruzer

are there any signs on the Dam that say, "at your own risk" or "DONT JUMP YOU TARD!" Just curious.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:14 AM  

San Marcos
Mentally inept?

Mentally inept?

I'm not the one who jumped to his death.

Peer pressure? If he can't respond intelligently to peer pressure, perhaps his parents should be sued for not raising him better.

I've done plenty of stupid things in my life and some of them have had serious consequences, but it never occurred to me to sue anyone over my decisions.

If Joe's had put a diving board over the river and had promoted this as a fun, safe activity, maybe there would be grounds for a lawsuit. As it stands, there is a railing there, there are signs that you can see from the road, and there is (supposed to be) common sense.

They make it clear that you're not supposed to be diving. If you decide to dive, you're taking your chances. If all the other employees are doing the same thing, you're still making your own decision and taking your chances. It's a job, not a daycare center.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:41 AM  
A2

Did that kid "DIVE" in? If he did...That's insane.

Those are some of the details I'ld like to find out more about.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:06 AM  

San Marcos
I have no idea. I did not mean to imply that he went in head-first. Just that there is when you are over there, there are plenty of indications that it is dangerous to jump into that water.

There was a time that the churning water would have been enough of an indication. Railings were mandated to keep children from falling in, not to keep adults from jumping. There used to be an assumption that adults were smart enough to figure that out on their own. Now we need railings, signs and babysitters.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:26 PM  

i think the family has every right to file against Landry's. they just have to realize that by opening the suit, they open themselves to a countersuit for damages and maybe even defamation of character. i personally have met tillman fertita, the CEO of Landry's and he is a genuinely nice guy. i think the family is just seeking some closure, i dont think they are bundle-seekers. if they win any ammount of money be it 100 thousand or 2 million, they will not hurt Joes Crab Shack one bit...and it wont be enough to help them cope with their loss but it will perhaps take some financial pressures off them or something.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:33 AM  

Your right, individuals should be held accountable for their actions but when management at the resturant knowingly was aware the kids were jumping off of the balcony and did nothing to stop this pratice and/or tradition......if Joe's manager that night would have stopped the stupidity of this tradition, a young life would not have been taken in that river that night.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:23 PM  
redhead

drowning

all you people that are mentioning the signs that say how dangerous it is to swim there,,, you need to realize that those were not put there until their were about 6 or 7 more incidents like that. campus police were called to save people because many were from out of town and saw the students doing it while eating at joes crab shack. so they assumed it was safe. this was in june and july. the river was not really low yet,as it is now, but in the summer the water level was above the cavity, so many visitors assumed that it was a huge wall and the water all went the other way. there was only one sign and it was covered with ivy. NOW theres a sh*t load of signs.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:58 AM  

San Marcos
I've been here 15 years and I never needed a million signs to know that it was dangerous to jump in there, or at the cliff past 5-mile or the old rope swing on Cape Rd.

I guess that's why I'm currently not dead.

Like I said, it's a job, not a daycare center.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:53 PM  

There needs to be a grate underwater preventing people from being sucked under the building. There needs to be repairs to that portion of the building so it is safe. A similar structure exists in Jacob's Well in Wimberley, preventing more deaths (mostly of divers exploring dangrous underwater caves).

Clearly, the owners of the building have been unwilling to make repairs to the structure. They've had over a year since the last death to fix the problem and they've instead chosen to sit on the problem. If suing their asses for negligence gets that dangerous area fixed, so be it.

Saying the poor boy was stupid, or unfairly pressured into jumping, is completely beside the point. An unsafe structure is an unsafe structure, and the company was negligent in refusing to fix it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads