Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2005, 06:07 PM  
A2

good points Guest...please register so we know who we are listening too....

seriously...those are good points....

A2

Old 12-10-2005, 08:08 AM  
dataipjoe

drowning

swimming has an inherent risk. someone can drown in a public swimming pool, even your own back yard pool. It is ridiculous to assume that events around the river can support blame of the incident. who are they going to sue next, the river itself?
Old 12-23-2005, 08:52 PM  

San Marcos
Good idea.

I am going to sue water for being there and oxygen for not being there in a human usable form. Then I am going to sue common sense for being inexplicably absent.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:30 PM  

Drowing

I can not believe the people calling the guy a dumbass. How rude and pathetic. It is a tragedy that did not need to happen. Obviously someone knew what was occurring and should have stopped it. If it was deamed as unsafe this should not have been something that occurred on a frequent occassion. How dare you all with your language. I hope you all do not experience something such as this in your family. I apologize for the insensative dumbasses we have in this town. By the way if ya want to get arrested in this town try and save a drowning person!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 AM  
A2

Three things.......

1. This thread is 3 years old

2. I called the fact that the Rio Vista Dam was in dis-repair and needing to be rebuilt or reinforced, 3 years ago.

3. Joe's Crabshack IS NO MORE ( thank you Jesus ).....I've heard it's going to be another prefab, sysco serving, antique decorated, family restaurant. Saltgrass BBQ ( either way it's still Landry's )

Eat local
Old 09-02-2007, 10:23 PM  

It is sick that people would say such things about someone who has passed. Jason was not a moron, he did not "dive" into the river, and as it so happens people swim there every day. No you can't sue the river, but the fact remains that the falls are dangerous and not properly maintained. As for the "swim at your own risk" signs, those were put up in response to Jason's drowning. As for his parents, who are divorced and suing separately, I feel they do have a right to take legal action. How would you feel if you lost your child? Next time you people get on a forum and start spouting bull **** check your facts then put yourself in their shoes.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:30 AM  
A2

Jason died on his SECOND jump. So which jump are they going to sue for. The first one that was so much fun he wanted to do it again, or the second one that killed him ?

And Jason worked at Joe's, so we can assume that he knew the dangers of jumping off the deck, why else would they wait for the resturaunt to be completly closed ?

And what about his three friends, can't they sue them for not helping to stop or to save young jason ?

And what about the builders of the railing, shouldn't they sue them for making such a nice jumping platform ?

If you live in San Marcos long enough you will eventually hear about someone getting killed by the san marcos river. Last year a young lady was carrying her baby across the river and it got sucked down and never found. How many times has EMS been called to Rio Vista Dam this summer alone ? When you live so close to a natural born killer, you one, take much more caution when any where near the river ( as we all should ) and two you become callous to the victims. It doesn't mean that I don't care about these poor people ( I'm dying to find out how many people in recorded history have died in the San Marcos River, but can't find anything ), it just happens SO often.

He was not just swimming in the river, he jumped off a railing that was 20 feet above a churning, fast flowing water fall....IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT......TWICE

If it was my son, I would sue GOD....One he has all the money in the universe, and two he built the river originally, and he even put into the head of the cotton farmers 100 years ago the idea to build the dam which made the water fall. God would never go to a jury trial though, his lawyers are the best and he'ld probably settle out of court.

Just give it a couple of more summers, some other innocent victim will get killed at Rio Vista Dam, and their family will sue the lions club for renting them a yellow tube.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:03 PM  

I've been keeping tabs on this for a while, and it was quite unclear in the paper, such as it is, that Jason jumped twice ? a fact I find rather interesting. A reporter I used to know did some research and there were no known fatalites at Spring Lake Dam for the past thirty or so years. I've researched this myself and found none for the last fourteen years, except this one and one almost-drowning a couple of months later.

While Jason's judgement was far from sound ? and I say that based on the results of said judgment, I find it odd that while there have been plenty of people swept into the back flow, causing plenty of rescues, the situation has gotten dramatically worse in the past few years. It's not the various flow conditions that's at work here. It has everything to do with the new hydraulics created by certain dam repairs. I experienced it myself within days after those repairs.

Perhaps the designers, contractors and property owners should worry, provided they can't hide behind sovereign immunity. Somehow that issue always comes up where certain "state" entities are concerned. The bigger problem at work is what has happened since then ? in other words: what the university has failed to do to make the area safer and what issues that may later force on the swimming community. One only has to look at the school's pattern of neglect concerning stewardship and the systematic reduction of access in the area to see where this is going.

As to the river itself and the vicitms, most fatalites occur downstream from this drowning site, but they aren't epidemic. Nobody seems to have a number, but it seems like I can only remember a handful in the last dozen years, including the ones in this thread and the former police chief. I won't say that this has made me callous in any way, but you have to expect drownings where there is water. You have to expect that not everyone is going to have the, um, fortitude to attempt a rescue, and in our letigious society, you'd have to be a fool not to expect a lawsuit. Worse still is the possibility ? and I hope I'm wrong ? that you'd have to be a fool not to expect even less access and rights...
Old 09-04-2007, 05:54 PM  
A2

Well said Dan
Old 09-05-2007, 12:47 PM  

Thanks. Just trying to keep things in perspective...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads