Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2007, 10:32 AM  

Legislature to be SWT/Tx St free

Unfortunately unless a new member is elected to the legislature that attended SWT/TxSt, for the first time in a long time there will not be a member of either house that attended our school. Robbie Cook the sole SWT member of the legislature has announced he isn't running for reelection. Last session was the first, in at laest 20 years, with only one member and now he is leaving.

People that attended SWT back in the mid 80s may also remember Robbie as the bouncer who threw us out of $.25 beer/$.50 kamikazee night at Footloose.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:39 AM  

$.25 beer? $.50 kamikazee? I missed out on a good decade.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 AM  

No housing ordinance, no noise ordinance, cheap booze, an 18 or 19 y.o. drinking age, alcohol was allowed in Sewell Park, the bars out numbered the restraunts, the cops and the locals were mellow about parties unless you did it too often, AIDS was a distant threat. Yea we had it good. But I hear the 70s were even better.

Guess the old locals were cooler than the newer version. Personally I know I live in a college town.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:15 PM  

San Marcos
No housing ordinance? That depends on what you mean by housing ordinance. There were zoning regs, including single-family residential, as far back as I can recall. I'd bet they are in the 1970 master plan, if anyone can dig it up. I know I can't. Further back than that, I can't even speculate.

What is new, is code enforcement.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:22 PM  

The not more than two non-related persons in one house zoning. Pretty sure that was in the 90s. Or some major change was made to it then. The opponets pretty much predicted the Sagewood situation (not the location but that that all the hell raisers would end up in one or two areas) when it was being debated and passed.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 PM  

San Marcos
I don't know. My memory is not what it could be and it is difficult (for me anyway) to find a record of these sorts of things. My recollection is that the two unrelated persons stuff was there, but efforts to enforce it started in the 90s.

Maybe I am wrong.

On another interesting note, there are neighborhood associations that don't allow any unrelated persons, from what I am told (haven't had a chance to look into it) and one of the students' candidates allegedly lives in one of them and allegedly moved there "to get away from the renters".

http://willowcreekhoa.com/page3.html
Old 11-14-2007, 12:36 PM  

Either way the 80s and early 90s were much easier on the student and nonmarried renters.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:49 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
On another interesting note, there are neighborhood associations that don't allow any unrelated persons, from what I am told (haven't had a chance to look into it) and one of the students' candidates allegedly lives in one of them and allegedly moved there "to get away from the renters".

http://willowcreekhoa.com/page3.html
that is where Kim Porterfield lives. i read on here she moved there to "get away from the renters". if zoning or occupancy changes are made it would not effect her in anyway..

that neighborhood has sued college students before and got them evicted from their homes.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:55 PM  

San Marcos
I agree (about the 80s and 90s), but my recollection is that the relationship was better on both sides. It's not just unreasonable non-students running roughshod all over everyone.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:57 PM  

San Marcos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
that is where Kim Porterfield lives. i read on here she moved there to "get away from the renters". if zoning or occupancy changes are made it would not effect her in anyway..

that neighborhood has sued college students before and got them evicted from their homes.
It's interesting. I guess it is easy to be in favor of just about anything, as long as it doesn't go on in your neighborhood.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.