Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 PM  

wow I participated in a major hijack of my own thread.

Didn't really mean for my non-related nostalgia to start another one of "those" threads where the not-currently-students and the current students bash on each other.

Here's to hoping Rep. Cook isn't the last of the line. We need more Bobcats in the legislature to keep the Longhorns, Aggies, and assorted Yankee Republicans from f-ing everything up.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:23 PM  

San Marcos
Participated?

You mean instigated.

But, it's your thread, so we can talk about whatever you want.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
Participated?

You mean instigated.

But, it's your thread, so we can talk about whatever you want.
fair enough.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:40 PM  

San Marcos
Your news is kind of thought-provoking to me, in a different sort of way. I never really hear much of anything about any alumni, other than Woody Harrelson, Ricky Sanders (not so much anymore) and LBJ.

I never read the alumni mail anymore, because of the BS over the name change and because it's almost all credit card offers anyway. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Anyway, it would be interesting to find out more about what the alumni are doing. That might be an interesting feature for the almost Daily Record or something.

It is unfortunate that the university does not have the alumni connection that UT and A&M have. Or, maybe it does and there are people who lose their connection to those schools too. I know I'm not the only one around here, though.

Maybe that's still hijacking the thread.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:58 PM  

George Strait?

During most of the 90s, the legislators, lobbyist, staffers and interns from SWT would hang together about once every week at the Cloak Room (Bar at 13th and Colorado in Austin) during legislative session. That was how a few of us figured out Rep. Cook had probably thrown more than a couple of us out of a bar. It was also funny when people figured out they "knew" each other from college and had not recognized each other.

There really hasn't been that connection the last few sessions, but the capitol bar scene is much more spread out by age and party than it used to be, and like most things at the capitol isn't what it used to be.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:03 PM  

San Marcos
George Strait.

I am so ashamed.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:09 PM  

No other Texas school has had a president, one time holder of 8(?) Super Bowl records or a CMA entertainer of the year.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:18 PM  

One of my favorite SWT/Tx St stories involves George Strait and former St Rep Keith Oakley. Back in 1995 Keith was named chair of the House Public Safety committee. He had been an Ag major and member of the rodeo team back when Strait was going to school and knew him, but didn't realize he was that George Strait. Anyway, George Strait called congratulated him and asked Oakley if he still wore a tie dye T-shirt under his dress shirt and said he put him on his guest list next time he played Austin. Keith asked where he'd be playing because he hadn't seen him play since Friday cheap pitchers at Cheatam Street. When Strait told him he was playing the Erwin Center Oakley figured out he was that George Strait and actually said that out loud to him.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:27 PM  

I had no idea Woody Harrelson went here. It seems to me that the school doesn't embrace the alumni. I got my undergraduate degree from UC Davis back in the early 90's and I get the alumni magazines from both the University and the College. I've never given them my address, and the magazines follow me to where ever I have lived. Am I in for that from here? The alumni programs at UT and A&M bring in BIG donors. Much of it actually goes to graduate student financial support, which is something TX State lags a little behind on.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:33 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by brete View Post
wow I participated in a major hijack of my own thread.

Didn't really mean for my non-related nostalgia to start another one of "those" threads where the not-currently-students and the current students bash on each other.

Here's to hoping Rep. Cook isn't the last of the line. We need more Bobcats in the legislature to keep the Longhorns, Aggies, and assorted Yankee Republicans from f-ing everything up.
As far as I can tell, I'm the only current student that posted on this thread, and I don't believe I did anything non-student bashing. Just trying to set the record straight to avoid further disputes....

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!