Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What do you think of bands who sound like popular bands on the radio?
They are great! They give me something to enjoy at the clubs. 0 0%
I don't really know if any bands sound like popular bands on the radio. 1 33.33%
They should try to be more original. 0 0%
They should be disregarded along with the popular bands they ripp-off. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM  

Local Rock Band Suggestions for Fellow Radio Haters

Rock Fans:

For those of you into non-radio/indie/not-yer-average rock stuff, I've decided to post this. If someone had done this when I first got to San Marcos, I would have been quite thankful.

--------------------------------------

Now of course I'm going to have to push Holding 1 first. People have called us "mathy, progressive, ambient, cortex-frying," etc. We have 3 CD's out now, and a new & improved quartet line-up. We have free MP3's on our website, as well as video, pics and more. Come check us out.

http://www.holding1.com

Next I'm going to push Eidalon. First known around town as "Redshift," I think Eidalon is one of the best bands to ever hit this town. Also quite mathy and progressive, they have an emotional side that balances the smart stuff quite well, and it all rocks. I haven't seen one person that wasn't impressed at one of their shows.

http://www.eidalon.com

Fall's Victim is new to San Marcos and the world, but their musicianship shows experience. Featuring trancy/watery guitar riffs, mind-blowing drums with crazy time-signatures and some of the most enchanting violin I've ever heard. Very Very Cool.

http://www.fallsvictim.com

Eta Carinae is the final band on my favorite list. I believe they are in the process of moving here from Austin, but I'm not sure. I had no idea what to expect when they hit the stage at Triple Crown, but what followed was pure metal madness with a true sense of taste. Eta Carinae lives up to their namesake. We're glad to have 'em in this town.

(No website just yet, but look for their name!)

Anyway, I just thought I'd step in and give some suggestions.

Any additions folks?

Les,
Holding 1

Old 01-05-2005, 07:13 AM  
A2

Never heard of any of those bands before..

But the last ones name sounds an awful lot like Tia Carerra...

Old 01-05-2005, 08:55 AM  
just some dude

more bands

check out Almost Failing... and the harlots..
they both put on a hell of a show. i hear the attention spainards are pretty cool too.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:39 PM  
DEVOTED FAN

YOU MUST TAKE A STEP BACK AND REALIZE THAT MANY BANDS TAKE THEIR STYLES, AT LEAST ELEMENTS, FROM POPULAR MUSIC TODAY. THAT IS NEITHER RIGHT NOR WRONG. GOOD MUSIC IS GOOD MUSIC WHETHER IT IS POPULAR OR NOT. TALENT AND SOUL MAKE FOR A GOOD MUSICAL COMBINATION; NOT POLITICS OR PERSONAL VENDETTAS.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:11 AM  
A2

Popular Music?

What is that?

I know it's not what they play on KUT.

FM radio is on it's way to the house that VHF & UHF are staying at?

Billboard Top 40... is this the popular music you are referring to? I don't know what kind of music Casy Kasim is playing now adays, but I don't like it. And I would never enjoy a band who got their inspiration from POPULAR MUSIC ( If Popular Music is Billboard)

Now if local bands are inspired by Popular Music like the HIves, white stripes, and all the other THE bands that blew up last year, well then mabey ya I would give them a listen, but for the most part even that type of Rock and Roll has sold out and it all sounds the same...JET has two OK songs on there latest CD...the rest are love songs...Yet they seem to be popular even though you only hear the two songs on teh radio/TV....

Modern Music is dead to me after I heard the new Motley Crue song. That stupid peice of trash that they try to pawn off as a song, made me so made that I almost beat my self up and then drove my truck into a bridge support.

FM is dead to me....So is 89.9

( ranting is fun for everyone )

A2
Old 01-07-2005, 07:52 PM  

Clarification on my radio music comments.

When I speak of popular bands on the radio, I mean the 80% that I hear (not in my house or car) that sounds just like the last 8-10 years of pathetic, contrived, "top-forty entertainment," was written already by 10 other contrived bands in the past decade only with different words, sparkly, silver, cute crap. If you turn on any large-scale radio operation playing modern rock, chances are, right now, you will hear what I speak of.

There is a small percentage of music that isn't shot down before it hits the air, that has some type of great quality to it.

This is all just was I see.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:36 AM  
all music sucks?

good show

January 27th at lucy's.
Attention Spaniards 9:00
Robbie and the Robots 10:00 www.robbieandtherobots.com
Opposite Day 11:00 www.oppositeday.com

Tired of ****ty bands who sound like everyone else?...

Then this will be the best show of the year for you.

These bands are all very unique and extremely local.

and also......... nifty.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:52 PM  
Chagrin

Whats the Deal

Chagrin may have broken up, but you wouldn't forget them all together now would ya Less. We still have an album coming out. Gah!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads