Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2005, 08:14 PM  

Looking for a dive

Hi all, I'm a new 78666.com member and San Marcos resident. This site is a great resource and I hope to see it continue to grow in the future. I sent in my SASE so I should be receiving my sticker and I can represent the site.
I'm looking for a bar thats more fitting to my personality. I really like the interesting characters I run into in dives, however walking around San Marcos all the bars seem to be overun with the frat boy crowd who have the life experience of a peanut shell. Does anyone know of any bars that are off the beaten path and a little more interesting? Thanks in advance.

-Alex

Old 07-20-2005, 11:13 PM  
A2

The Triple Crown is always my favorite. Live music ( almost )every night, and no frat boys, EVER.

The restless wind is ok, everyonce ina while. Frat boys, yeah sometimes, but great, dark, quite bar, with finger shuffle board.

Reilly's...Either on the Devils Backbone or out on Hunter Road. Weird bars, that you could do what ever the **** you want and no one will think twice. Just watch out for the bathrooms on the one on Hunter.

The Outback Saloon in Redwood. Hard to find, but priceless. Locals only, but kind hearted, non frat boys/girls, always welcome. Heavy duty pool tornaments.

The Hilltop on 21 WAS nice untill it magically burned to the ground.

The Pueblo Bar, on 35 south just north of wonderworld rd. Ever want to take your goomah to a bar, in town, where you don't have to worry about it getting back to your old lady? The Pueblo is the place. NO frat boys, hell NO white boys, but welcomeing to all beer lovers. Great place to get drunk and forget your in San Marcos. Just watch out for the Clown, or after any dance down the street.

Freiheight county store. On 1101 just north of New Braunfels. Awesome lil' honky tonk, with great burgers to boot. Keep your rush week t-shirts, and bad attitudes at home.

MOre Later.
A2

And please dont' tell every idiot you know about these places. These, with the exception of the Triple Crown ( criple frown ) are off the beaten path for a reason.

Old 07-21-2005, 01:35 PM  

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to check these places out. Don't worry I'll be sure to keep these places to myself, I'd hate to see them lose their individuality.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:02 AM  

Riley's on hunter road.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:09 PM  

Curve Inn just down 1101 from Riley's...Great burgers till 2:00 p.m. when John is there. Beers are very affordable.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM  

Dives

Riley's and Curve Inn Bar and Grill are fine places in hunter. What about Riley's on the backbone (not related to Riley's in Hunter) out RR12 past the junction? INOZ brew and chew in Wimberley is busy on the weekend with tourists, but on the weekdays is quieter and definately frat-free. Texas red's has a nice bar, but it is more of a restaurant bar and not at all a dive. Lots of regulars at River Pub and Grill - but not really dive'ish. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 AM  

Any place that prepares food really isn't a dive. Most of those places you list are too nice to be dives. Triple Crown, Restless Wind.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 PM  

dives

Brete, yeah, Triple crown and Restless wind are truly dives.

But I think a dive can be a restaurant, too (especially one that feels a little run-down or stuck in a time warp [Texas Red's or INO'z] OR where you can wear flip-flops and river clothes [Riverpub]).

And some dive bars do serve food (Showdown). But, I was addressing Haruspex who was originally asking for bars off the beaten path or that were more interesting. And I think my recommendations definately work in that respect.

Of course, I just NOW realized that the original post is from July 2005, so I hope Haruspex is now a regular at his dive of choice.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:42 PM  

In the good old days Showdown was a dive, food preparationwas an overpriced sandwich, it was dark, dirty and the drinks were cheap. That's probably why most of us bailed to the TC when Allen opened it.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:43 AM  

Gray Horse Saloon

I love the gray horse saloon on RR12 on your way out toward Wimberley. It is friendly, dimly lit, and has live music. Very "hometowny" feel.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!