Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2005, 09:00 AM  

looking for feedback

First off, great website and forum! I am seriously considering the idea of opening a sandwich shop in San Marcos. I would like to be located somewhere near campus. We would be serving breakfast and lunch. Cheap, generous hangover remedy type portions, non-traditional menu but nothing too outlandish. Hours would be something like 6:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday thru Sunday. I know there are a few sandwich establishments already in place around town. This will be the kind of place that is fast and conveinant and cheap if you are on the go. But also a place you can sit and enjoy your food, not feel rushed, and just "space out" if you want. I should probably just outline the kind of feedback I am looking for instead of rambling on - so here goes:

1) The menu is all but done. But what are some things that are compatible with a sandwich shop that you would love to see on our menu? The foods that San Marcos may be lacking. example - homemade ice cream, juice bar, etc.

2) Things you wish a place would have but don't. For instance, for some reason I am obsessed with having a bike rack for customer conveinance. What are some things that need to be in place to make it not a hassle to eat there?

3) Is San Marcos health conscience? I want food that is a sponge for last nights consumption. But I know there are people who are non-carnivores and the occasional sorority anorexic, so maybe we would offer a few veggie sandwiches and salads. So should I be more concerned with portions or health?

4) Here is the biggie. What is real estate like there? I live in San Antonio and most memories of trips to San Marcos are blurred. I love your town, for me it's the perfect choice for a place of my own. I know about location - location - location. So where are the affordable, available, easy to get in and out of spots around town?

5) Anything else would be helpful. I will try and keep any further posts under 11,362 words.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:33 PM  

Did you have a side of campus in mind? The east and west sides have pretty different personalities, food-wise.

Town side:

Alvin Ord's sandwich shop - A college classic kind of place. They have a kind of schlotsky's style bread that is pretty distinctive. I don't really like that kind of bread actually, so I generally don't eat there. It's flanked by Pizza Classics and Subway, and caddy-corner from Murphy's Deli. The Subway and Murphy's Deli have pricy, healthy-style food pretty cornered and that's where you'll see most of the sorority types.

Also right near campus is Susie's Vegetarian and Gil's burgers. If you're going for hangover food on that side of town your main competition is going to be the Allniter and Cafe on the Square. Cafe on the Square has huge portions of cheesy eggs served all day, and the Allniter makes a biscuit with sausage and cheese cooked into it, as well as a hangover hash meat/cheese extravaganza. The Allniter is new but it's really a powerhouse and if I was opening a business I wouldn't even try to touch its market. Across from them is the Root Cellar, with high-end food (think apples on a ham sandwich and avocado mint soup).

On the other side of campus you've got Grin's, a nice sit-down place with great burgers. Thai Thai is around there, and the only good Chinese food place in town. I haven't been to the Bite My Buns place yet but it sounds kind of weird. There are a bunch of apartments around those places and I imagine you'd get more upperclassmen and grad students (like myself) instead of freshmen looking for a place close to the dorms.

Incidentally, I guage the value of a place based on how reasonably their grilled cheese sandwich is priced.

Hope all this helps.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:34 PM  

ps: and it's "health conscious."

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads