Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2007, 09:40 PM  

quail creek roadwork?

Hi! Does anyone know why Quail Creek is being completely ripped out and repaved? I drove that street everyday, and it seemed to be in fine condition.

It seems a gross waste of money to me, when there are many many streets and railroad crossings in this town that will rip an axle off a car!

Just Curious!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:01 AM  
A2

I think we all know why.

I lived on Sycamore st. for 6 years. During that time the city kept telling us that the entire neighborhood was going to be repaved, and all new utilities installed ( many areas flood like you wouldn't believe ), including sidewalks, and better street lights.

I moved to Martindale a year and a half ago, and no work has yet to been done to Rio Vista Terrace Subdivision.

Is that the reason why I moved out of town? Yeah, it's a big part of it.

Remember Curious, it's not what you know, it's who you know....and not how you live, but where you live.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:46 AM  

What's up with that new railroad overpass at Yarington? We had to wait at least 15 years to get one in town after the University had Post Road moved. That area literally had to drive a mile to old Stagecoach to get under the track.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:26 AM  

A2, You probably won't be surprised to hear that Rio Vista street reconstruction isn't scheduled for funding until Fiscal Year 08-09. ... At least another year before the money is even in place. (Although I think funding for the drainage work may be in this year's budget so they can at least have it all engineered and designed by the time they get around to actually doing funding it. This is one of the bond projects approved more than two years ago, in November 2005.)
Old 11-09-2007, 11:17 AM  

San Marcos
Rio Vista street reconstruction is already funded, with work scheduled to complete next year, according to the CIP (which you furnished).

http://newstreamz.com/wp-content/upl.../picture-4.png
Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
Rio Vista street reconstruction is already funded, with work scheduled to complete next year, according to the CIP (which you furnished).

http://newstreamz.com/wp-content/upl.../picture-4.png
Sorry -- you're right. I was thinking Victory Gardens. Interestingly, the city sent out a press release the day before the election announcing the repaving of Roosevelt and Alabama streets. (The major reconstruction of streets in Victory Gardens is not funded until 08/09)

http://newstreamz.com/2007/11/09/pub...abama-streets/
Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM  

San Marcos
Frankly, I am not 100% convinced that Rio Vista (or anything else) will get done according to the schedule on the CIP.

I again heard comments, from two more connected people, that it's all up in the air, because 110 is going on the list and the money needs to come from somewhere. I also saw a quote from the mayor, that she and the city are working to "save whatever money they can for loop 110" or something along those lines.

It might have even been in one of the articles posted/linked to on this board.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 PM  

San Marcos
Yep, it was in one of the letters to the University Star, linked in another thread.

http://star.txstate.edu/LetterToEditor01.html

"You see, I have been leading the charge to save the millions of dollars of state money for the first leg of the San Marcos Loop, or FM 110 project, since the failed county bond election last May."
Old 11-09-2007, 05:58 PM  

Is the Wonder World extension the same thing as the 3407 extension to RR12? (I'm looking at the CAMPO 2030 map) I have it on good authority that the contractors don't understand they have to follow endangered species regulations...

My bet is the Yarrington overpass is part of the long term 110 project (although the map I have shows 110 crossing just north of Yarrington. Isn't the 90% of the loop outside of city limits?) Or maybe they are finally realizing that having the train tracks make one part of town regularly blocked for emergency responders is a bad idea...

Where does the extension of Craddock fit in to the plans? Shouldn't that be done before 110?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:00 PM  

Sorry, A2, I really *didn't* know why - I just moved to San Marcos from far, far away. I see what you mean though. I definitely feel a bad vibe in this town, though I haven't even begun to figure it out.

But back to just the traffic issues...from an outsider's perspective, the infrastructure here is insane, inefficient and very dangerous. Has anyone died yet from the train intersectons being blocked? How much fuel is wasted and air pollution generated waiting for trains and out of sync lights? And who in the heck designed highway exits that dump you out into oncoming traffic??

I've never seen anything like it, and I've lived all over (big cities, too).
Just sayin'!!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!