Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2008, 03:43 PM  

Looks like council decided to dance the long slow dance and put this thing on hold. Does that surprise anyone?

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/local...037124011.html

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:49 PM  

San Marcos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartian View Post
And oddly neither of you feel that the city is really doing their job... In the following post you point to the Tx State article and Williams calls the situation a symptom and not the cause. And goes on to say that we can write tickets until our fingers bleed. Sounds like someone doesn't want to take or maintain control of the situation does it? I see why you're frustrated.
Yes, the city and the university BOTH refuse to get this issue (and others like it) under control and are content to leave it to the rest of us to deal with.

I also suspect that as much as they bemoan the rift between the students and the non-students, each appreciates the buffer they get from each community's tendency to blame the other. Trauth has no real responsibility because so much of this is unreasonable "non-students" who have always resented the university and the Mayor and Council have no responsibility because so much of this is "unruly students". Each can feign an interest in solving the problem or build their empires a little, but never really get into the dirty business of fixing anything.

As an added bonus, it gives politicians a means to scare people to the polls, although turnout is still abysmal.

Thanks for the pick-me-up.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:59 PM  

San Marcos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immis View Post
Looks like council decided to dance the long slow dance and put this thing on hold. Does that surprise anyone?

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/local...037124011.html
File that under "You've got to be ******* kidding me."

After all this time and all the ******* headaches, the mayor and City Council were not even on the same page as to why the task force was created or what they were supposed to do? Way to work the whole town into a lather and deepen the divides, all for nothing.

******* thanks.

Honestly, how do they look their constituents in the eyes?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 PM  

It didn't help that a significant part of the "task force" couldn't be bothered to show up....
Old 02-07-2008, 08:55 AM  

San Marcos
If I got together and met with a bunch of VPs and directors at the office, to discuss a problem and then, without any of us getting on the same page about what we wanted done, pulled together a team of designers and marketing people and sales people (but completely left out some critical component, like production) and gave them some high-level, ill-defined task like "go see what you can come up with" and then had no further involvement, I'd be stunned if participation was high or if the team delivered anything at all.

This is a classic case of "garbage in, garbage out" and piss-poor management. The fact that the mayor is making comments to imply that the task force somehow blew it, just proves she doesn't get it.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 PM  

I believe the council meeting on Feb 19th will be to determine how to proceed and whether to reappoint, reactivate the task force . And to decide what direction this will go in. Apparently there will be lots of extra seating in the back. Everyone needs to attend and let their voice be heard.
So until then come up with a solution to this problem. Get there early cause Im sure it will be packed !
I have my ideas.... do you?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:59 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
It didn't help that a significant part of the "task force" couldn't be bothered to show up....

Do you know which part of the "task force" did not bother to show up? Let me see, there were 3 members of the realtors/landlords, 3 members of neighborhoods, and one student that lived in Austin. You tell me who didnt show up, and why? Which one of these groups had something to gain by not participating and not "showing up?"
Im just saying..................

Old 02-07-2008, 11:24 PM  

Immis,
I have no idea who didn't show up. I've read several reports that about half of the group didn't show up. I don't know which half. Read into it whatever you want. My point is that if you agree to be on a committee/task force/focus group, show up to the meetings. Personally, I'm glad they've put things on hold; I'm mad about the time, effort and tax dollars that went into a bad plan; I'm frustrated about the extra divisiveness it caused; and I'd like to see us move on to coming up with a plan to actually make things better.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 AM  

San Marcos
Vance Elliot, who I assume represented landlords, NEVER showed up. Tom Wassenich, who represents the homeowners, had perfect attendance.

I did not recognize the other names, but here they are:

Jim LeSage - 1 of 3 meetings attended
Michael Flowers - 1 of 3 meetings attended
Rick Tarr - perfect attendance
Robert Hernandez - perfect attendance
Jason Aleem - 2 of 3 meetings attended

If anyone can clarify which groups are represented by each, that would be great.

Still, given the complete lack of direction, I am shocked that anyone bothered to show up.

Data lifted from Newstreamz article.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:29 AM  

San Marcos
Interesting article for those who think this is unique to San Marcos, or some sort of attack on students.

Note that this crackdown involves an event with far greater value to the area than parties at Sagewood. Still, the city fells compelled to impose some order, for the sake of the others who have to live there.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stori...d6cd5.html?npc

Just interesting.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!