Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2006, 11:53 PM  

san marcos tattoo action

word on the street is that mystic marks tattoo is the place to get ink done in this town, but is do they deserve the word? does getting custom tattoo work mean a trip to austin?

Old 02-28-2006, 08:37 AM  

San Marcos
I had one done there in 1996. I was happy enough with it, but I do not know if the guy who did it is still there. It was not a really elaborate piece, but it was not super simple either. It took about 4 hours. I'd say that on a scale of 1-10 for difficulty, the design was about a 4.5, but they did a very good job.

It seems like the owner is/was a woman who once ran the art department at SWT/TXST and she was doing a tat for someone else when I was there. I heard that she was really good, but she was just doing some cherries on some hottie's butt. Nothing complicated.

I'd be comfortable going back to them and I probably will, since too much sun and no sunscreen has caused some fading on that tat and another.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:46 AM  

I got a tattoo there back in '95 by a guy they called Poke. I think he was the owner's son. It turned out all right but it was a pretty simple piece. I don't know that I would go anywhere here in town to get a custom piece.

Have you heard of Perfection Tattoos? They have one in San Antonio and Austin. I know a girl in SA that drove to Austin to have a guy do a 3/4 sleeve. Turned out awesome. I hung out with her ex-husband at the one in SA (he was working there) and saw the guy that runs it working on a custom piece--he didn't even use a stencil.

I can get you names if you're interested...
Old 02-28-2006, 03:45 PM  
A2

If I was you....( which I'm not, so let me rephrase that )....Here's what I would do, and have done...

Wait till the Austin Tattoo Convention...Go there and check out the artist booths....You WILL find an artist that is doing work just like what your thinking....talk to them...TRY to POSSIBLY get an appointment at the convention if not fly/drive/walk to where they work and get inked.
I found a guy in Harker Heights ( who would have thought ) at the last convention and am planning a trip this spring. He had a portfolio full of designs and flash exactly like what I had been thinking of for years and thought I would never find someone to do like I wanted. He had it, and was into it... It was fish by the way and not ****in' Koi but Texas Native Bluegill and Guadalupe Bass tattoo's..

I've gotten tattooed by Feathers son bout 7 years ago and it sucked, got one by Trace here last year and it was OK......

Either way,, and don't take anyone's advice on exactly who to go to...decide for yourself....meet the artist, check out his work, and think about it for awhile....

Much Respect,
A2
Old 03-03-2006, 12:24 PM  

very helpful

appreciate all the help. too bad the convention was in january--i wish i'd posted this earlier.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:51 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by part-time jesus View Post
word on the street is that mystic marks tattoo is the place to get ink done in this town, but is do they deserve the word? does getting custom tattoo work mean a trip to austin?
Mickey at Mystic Marks is at least as good as you'd get going to Austin and a damn sight better than some. He's done custom work for me and several of my friends and I would not go anywhere else unless I was just looking to collect "art" of different artists (which, I do from time to time so...)
But... he's been tattooing for many years and definitely knows his art. The other guys at Marks seem to be ahead of the curve as well so before I drove to Austin, I'd head local and check out portfolios and talk about what it is you're wanting...
Just my dos pesos...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!