IN THE LAST FEW YEARS, SAN MARCOS HAS LOST AND GAINED BOTH GOOD AND BAD QUALITIES. MY RESPONSE TO THAT IS A "NEW RENAISSANCE" FOR SAN MARCOS BOTH ARTISTICALLY AND RESPECTFULLY. THERE ARE A LOT OF GREAT THINGS THAT COME OUT OF SAN MARCOS, BUT IN COMPARISON TO OTHER CITIES AND COLLEGES WE LACK MANY NECESSARY FEATURES OF A GREAT CENTRALIZED TOWN.
San Marcos Sucks,
Dude,,,,you are so right on the money.....Kind radio was what radio should be...FOr the people by the people.
When the flood of '98 hit, KIND radio was the only way to get information on the weather and what parts of the city where accesible. There was no power, and non of the southern radio stations talked about san marcos, 'cause they where having their own problems.
Yeah..mabey the dudes that ran the station got a little overzellous with the smokin' and drinkin' in the control room, but man I would bet that Kind radio MABEY saved a life during the flood. They where on for 48 hours straight just talkin' bout areas that where unaccesable, where you could go for releif aid. They where a life saver man.
Hey Just listen to 89.9 anytime of the day or night and you'll realize that WE need a REAL radio station pirate or not.
KIND was rad, i just dug up some old video of when i was on the news during one of my broadcasts...
we do need KIND radio back, it united the community and provided valuable information in san marcos's time of need, i heard it was supposed to be making a comeback...
who cares wut they were doing during their shows? drinking and smoking was just HALF the debauchery i witnessed or heard tell of.... :twisted:
03-04-2005, 08:21 AM
the main offender
Posts: n/a | Kudos: +
what's so bad about KTSW? i work there and i think it's great...yeah, a lot of the artists that we play kinda suck, but we're working on that problem...
we didn't start doing weather till this year, and i wasn't even living here in 98, so i dunno if KTSW did it's part in the time of the flood or not...but i do know that we had a flash flood during this past summer and i was working when we had to switch over to emergency alert stuff...we did nothing but read flood information and **** like that for the 2 hour period that the flooding was the worst...maybe it's just me, but i think that i served a purpose during that time...
anyway, check out my show "Brain Candy" from 6 to 8 on KTSW on sunday nights...i play electronic music for the mind and the body...
03-04-2005, 08:35 AM
the main offender
Posts: n/a | Kudos: +
there's only 2 things that need to be done to make san marcos a cooler town...
1. i'm 20 years old...i don't drink, and i don't have any plans to do so when i'm legal in 2 months...however, it would have a huge effect on san marcos's "cool-factor" if the bars stayed open till 2:00 rather than 12:00...no only would it keep more money in the community, but it'd also keep ****ing drunk ass drivers off the road to austin at night...more wrecks happen in the stretch of I-35 between austin and san marcos than most places in the US, and it's all cause people drive up to austin cause they want to get 2 more hours of partying...then at 2 AM, they've gotta drive back to san marcos cause they've got no place to stay up in austin and they're still drunk and they crash into people and everyone dies, which is definitely uncool...
2. there need to be more live music venues and clubs...personally, i don't go to night clubs, but i realize that a lot of people do...that's half the fun of going to 6th street in people's minds (the other half being the alcohol...heh heh) i don't think there's any clubs in san marcos, and the live music venues aren't top notch or abundant enough...pretty much everyone i know is a musician, but they've got no place to play...
the only way to make san marcos a more desireable place to be is to model its night life after austin's...otherwise, as some one said earlier, in 30 years, we'll just keep on being how we are now...
New to the forum and thought I'd bump some interest into this thread as it seemed to have some promise as a discussion topic. San Marcos definitely needs a kick in the pants in the music industry and someone to organzize some form of functional arts/music/entertainment coalition in town. I'd jump on the opportunity, were I staying in town for more than the summer.
I agree, KIND radio was a blessing to the community and another station like it is long past due. I have information concerning FCC registration along with a few ideas on how to fundraise for such a project. Anyone seriously interested can contact me by e-mail or instant message.
The city is (or at least was) hosting music/arts performances weekly, I believe in the past, but if the performing artists leave it up to the city to plan entertainment events in our public parks, we won't have our voices heard. My hope would be to see a production company start locally to cater to San Marcos musicians and foster a healthy, growing music scene. We have space, people have money, why aren't there more open-air concerts and festivals?
I have lots of ideas, and experience in the industry. Anyone with questions or comments, contact me.[/b]
1. Better schools.
2. The loop.
3. Two more large employers (1000+ employees).
4. Greater interest in the community from SWT.
5. More parks.
6. Planning and Zoning with an interest in creating a pedestrian-friendly city.
7. FAST public transportation to Austin and San Antonio.
9. Ongoing litter cleanup.
10. More restaurants.