Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2007, 05:18 PM  

Now that was funny !

Finally, someone gets the idea. This is hardly a serious topic. And if I were not on the other side of the "pond", I would accept. Perhaps a drunken online conference with web cams? Ha Ha !

PS: They would call ya a cab. Been there, done that!

Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM  

This is truly entertaining. I love that you think I possess an inferiority complex based on my ability to express myself clearly with language earned through diligent attention to my education. It may come as a surprise to you, Frequent, but there really does exist a population who speaks in this manner everyday, even in normal conversation. My failure to speak to your level is my own oversight. I'll try harder next time.

Not that it matters, but the Tap Room has graciously opened its doors to anyone disconcerted with the services offered by SP's. My money is with them. (And their waitresses aren't dumb as bricks).

P.S. Do people really believe SP's feeble menu mirrors that of true Irish cuisine? Even the fusion approach is lacking...'kraut eggrolls? Irish/Texan or German/Chinese?

Old 05-15-2007, 07:30 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequent diner View Post
This place is the best!!! All the different kinds of food, the atmosphere, and I cant even count all the beers and Irish whiskies they have [...]
Wow...

I think its painfully obvious that you indeed have a vested interest in SP's. Not only do we have the fact that your posts all sound like you're getting paid to write them (for reference, see your diatribe starting this thread), but also your choice in which threads to participate in are very telling: you have ONLY taken part in topics regarding S.P.'s. Not only that, but you felt that you had to start a new thread about a topic already being discussed in another thread, clearly trying to run some sort of PR campaign for S.P.'s. You're not fooling me. I may have been born at night, but it wasn't lastnight...

On to the point: even if they've 'fixed' their service problems, their prices are still deplorable. If you're going to charge a premium for drinks, you better have a convincing reason to do so. People won't just pay higher prices for no reason at all, and S.P.'s has no good reason to charge so much for their drinks.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:39 AM  

Jesus

Yes, they have a great hamburger. Yes, the service kinda sucks. Yes, they have overpriced drinks.

Yes, I'm going to the Taproom.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:18 PM  

San Marcos
I believe that the folks who owned the building before were the same ones who own Schlitterbahn. Once upon a time, they wanted to put Schlitterbahn in San Marcos and the city told them that we don't need another Wonder World and shot it down. It was pretty bitter, I am told.

So, as punishment for their mistreatment, they let that building just off the square sit vacant and fall apart.

I don't know how much of that story is true, but I tried to buy the building about 10 years ago, with similar ideas. There was a giant for sale sign on the side. When I called about it, I never even got to ask a question before the person on the phone told me "It's $360,000 and it's not negotiable." and then ended the call. It's been a long time and I'm not 100% sure I remember the price, but I sure remember the call. Whatever the price, buildings on the square that were in use were selling for less than that.

It is good to see that it is finally being used and it looks great. I have had terrible service there, but it has been a long time (relatively speaking) and maybe they fixed things. I didn't get the impression, from the comments on here, that they were interested in fixing anything, but I'll give it another shot based on your review.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:11 PM  

I eat there occasionally, and it's decent. I think the Irish eggrolls are pretty good, but I have a weakness for all things deep fried. I also like their lamb chops. The Guiness stew isn't bad either. I was a little less impressed with their sheppard's pie and chicken pot pie. I've never had bad service, but like most places in SM, it's not great either. I like the fact that they have an outdoor seating area, but they really need to invest in some new outside chairs. Some of them will suck you in...
Old 11-04-2010, 06:19 AM  

Houston, Texas
Sounds like I should give it a try. I black listed the Black Lab back in the mid 90's when they cut me and my friends off simply because of the size of my friends tab. They didn't realize or even care that it was a celebration for a large stock award for my bud, and that people had been coming and going all evening. I came in and had one beer and they cut us off. I don't need that kind of big sister treatment by any drinking establishment. Yeah, I know about the Dram Shop Law etc, I was partners in a bar, (previous marriage). I think that kind of behavior is more about the owner and his politics. The Black Lab is a college bar, at least the faculty. They think they need to wipe everyone's nose, powder our bottoms and trundle us off to bed. I'm a big boy and have been drinking since I was 17 (overseas where there was no age limit) and I know how much I can handle responsibly and don't need some waiter to do it for me. I took my business elsewhere and have never been back.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:42 AM  

San Marcos, Texas
This place has great wings and beer cocktails!

Try a dark side of the moon (Guiness plus blue moon)
Old 12-28-2010, 06:53 PM  

Dickinson, Texas
Great atmosphere, cold beer, and good grub.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads