Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2006, 09:15 PM  

Texas State or SWT

Just curious, is texas state still known as a party school ? I remember seeing articles in numerous major publications about south west texas back in the day. I heard they changed the name because of the bad rap as a party school. Any confirmation on that ? My daughter wanted to go to SWT. Didnt happen. Sent her to a convent. Not really.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 PM  

always be Southwest Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8mybag View Post
Just curious, is texas state still known as a party school ? I remember seeing articles in numerous major publications about south west texas back in the day. I heard they changed the name because of the bad rap as a party school. Any confirmation on that ? My daughter wanted to go to SWT. Didnt happen. Sent her to a convent. Not really.
We still party as much as ever, but we'll never again reach the height of party-dom like we did in the 70s and 80s. The name change had less to do with the party image and more to do with the fact that this is a public school and they're trying to gain more notoriety as a national institution. They're attempting to do that by obtaining a more generic name. It's working too.

They're also attempting to grow by establishing satellite campuses like the one in Round Rock, which seems to be going well at the moment. They really can't (outwardly) grow too much more in their current location in central San Marcos.

Although all of this is probably necessary to grow, justify more intellectual jobs and tenure, and it's the way to get more state money, the campus has all but lost it's once prized traditional background. LBJ wouldn't recognize the campus or what it's become. He certainly wouldn't agree with it's political mindset, and I doubt he'd much approve of the the loss of identity. But, then again, he didn't approve of any of that when he was here either.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:11 PM  

I don't think Texas State parties harder than any other school its size. I know I went to crazier parties with friends at UNT than I ever found here. I came after the name change, and I feel like I have a little more prestige when I say I go to Texas State than I would have otherwise. It sounds much better to people who don't live in Texas. My Canadian and German pals said "Oh Texas STATE...very impressive!"
Old 07-27-2007, 09:50 AM  

If you got here after the name change you surely don't remember alcohol being legal all over campus including Sewell Park. You missed $.99 pitchers all afternoon at Cheatam Street and a slew of drink specials that have been illegal since about 1993. You missed 18 and over drinking. You got here after the noise ordinance and all the city's other attempts at curbing parties. The last days of finals were the best reason for going to school here.

Hell, I'm 47 and had a party shut down by the cops at 7 for being too loud for having a band.

Not the same college/town even, and that's not even taking into account how lax the cops used to be on PIs and drugs.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:09 PM  

Swt

I'll call it Texas State when they change the mascot to the armadillo. If you're going to steal a name from a movie you got to go all the way. And yes it is, has and always will be a party school. Four years is a terrible thing to waste.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 PM  

Texas State Armadillos

What was the name of that movie about the TS Armadillos?
SM will always be a party town. The intensity may vary from time to time, but students will always party. And they should. Once they graduate it hits the fan. You get a buttmunch job, get married, have kids, get fat and your hair falls out. Then the economy craters while you've got an ungrateful kid in college who does nothing but party. But you forgive them because you know they'll get theirs soon enough.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:45 AM  

Texas State University - Fightin' Armadillos

The movie is "Necessary Roughness" (91)
the mascot is the Fightin' Armadillos
Strangely, allmovie got it wrong and referred to Tx Southern.
Wikipedia and all other references on the net had it right.
So true about it hitting the fan all to soon for the students.
Party while you can, or wish you had later.
If your college years are boring , what's downhill from that.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:52 AM  

San Marcos
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud lumpkin View Post
What was the name of that movie about the TS Armadillos?
SM will always be a party town. The intensity may vary from time to time, but students will always party. And they should. Once they graduate it hits the fan. You get a buttmunch job, get married, have kids, get fat and your hair falls out. Then the economy craters while you've got an ungrateful kid in college who does nothing but party. But you forgive them because you know they'll get theirs soon enough.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 AM  

Necessary Roughness - DVD

Somebody ought to sell the "Necessary Roughness" dvd in SM town.
It's only deserving of maybe two stars, but is an interesting item considering the name change of the university.

Lighten up Semi, you're the bummer on this forum.

Satire

Humor

Buy a clue
Old 07-25-2008, 11:38 AM  

San Marcos
I'm plenty light, thanks.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!