Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2007, 03:49 PM  

Thinking of moving

I'm a Katrina survivor. Lived in New Orleans 17 years, now living in Houston for the last year. This place is tooooo big for me. I live outside the bus line, don't drive, feel sooo isolated. Need a smaller, closer-in community where I can walk or bike around. I left a good job at LSU Health Sciences Center in order to build a business dyeing yarn for fiber artists. So far, so good on that score, but this city is just too big. So I'm here (this forum) to learn about San Marcos. Another N.O. acquaintance moved there and says it is great. Long ago, I lived in Austin, so I'm sort of familiar with Texas Hill Country.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:41 PM  

By the way

if you have any ideas or suggestions, they'd be most welcome: suitable churches, social gathering spots, inexpensive housing opportunities, whether you think walking/biking is safe or tolerable in San Marcos, etc.

What are the ten most important things a newcomer (or potential newcomer) should know about San Marcos, either good or bad?

Old 10-08-2007, 09:22 AM  

Hello Knitterman -
I have been in an around San Marcos for over 25 years, but have only lived here for the past two. I really enjoy the attitude and feel that this town has. I currently attend Texas State University and own a house here.

Important things - hmm... well,

It's Texas State, not TSU.

Tubing. When the weather's nice (a good portion of the year), grab a tube and float down the San Marcos river. Rio Vista Park is really nice, and the atmosphere is really friendly and welcoming. Even if you aren't an outdoor/water person, you have to do it at least once!

Trains - we got'em, and they almost always hinder your travel when you're in a hurry. Not really, but that's the way it seems. So if you know you'll be crossing tracks, you may want to add a few minutes to your travel just in case.

Local Businesses. There are a lot, especially restaurants. I'm on campus on Tues/Thurs and have a nice lunch break from 12-2 and have made it my goal to hit as many restaurants in the downtown area as possible. I'd rather give them my money than the overpriced campus eateries.

Outlet Mall - We have two right now, and I think there are plans for more. They used to be a lot better when I was younger, but now they're not so much discounted, but you can find great deals. My recommendation is to hit them during the week. Weekends are just nuts.

Spanish - if you learn it, it will definitely help. It's not required, because the majority of people speak english. There are a lot of Mexicans (from Mexico) that take trips up here to visit the outlet malls, so if you know a little spanish, it would help.

Housing - I personally dislike the apartments here. There are a few that are good, I suppose, but if you can get into a house, renting or buying, I would highly advise it. I wouldn't go so far as to say that aparments have a monopoly, but my experience hasn't been that great. And that's not just here - I've been mistreated by apartment complexes world wide. But really, unless you just need to get into some place quickly, avoid apartments.

Attitude - It's what I love about this place! Everyone is really laid back and just enjoys life. I rarely come across a person that is just obnoxious. And the drivers here are some of the nicest I've ever seen. Need into a lane, sure, go ahead! Not something I'm accustomed to.

As far as your other items -
There are many churches here, but I don't currently attend one.
What type of gathering spot are you looking for? Weekends are pretty hopping on the square, but it's more of a bar/drinking deal.
I try to walk and bike as much as I can, but it can be a little tricky. Because San Marcos is fairly spread out and hilly, it can be a bit of a chore, but you quickly learn alternate routes that you wouldn't normally take in a car. For example, when I bike home from campus, I cut through Sewell Park. Not something you can do in a car! And if I'm not mistaken, there is a push right now to get more biking into the area.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:35 AM  

whats so good about the outlet mall that people drive all the way from mexico for it? i've been there and it seems like any other outlet mall... also ive heard that people go to mexico for cheap products instead of the other way around
Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 AM  

Vader, That was very nice of you. Your description of San Marcos for Knitterman was great. Knitterman,SM really is the best place in Texas to live. I ride my bike almost everywhere in town and try to use side streets and cut through routes whenever possible. I also try to avoid riding at peak rush hour times like 4:30 to 5:30 pm. The news paper lists all the different denominations and churches every Friday on one page. The Activity Center, next to the Library on East Hopkins is a great place to get started to learn all the different things that the Parks and Recreation department has to offer.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads