Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 PM  

Tx State Involvement in San Marcos

Lots of people in the election said San Marcos needs to work with the University and I got kind of curious on what that meant exactly.

Besides the Bobcat Build and of course the economic side that comes with any University being in a town. What has Texas State done for the city of San Marcos or non-student residents?

Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 PM  
A2

well

Who was it on here that said the Bobcat build should be broadened? I love that idea.

I enjoy complaining that the university does not help out in Civic Activities.

We could have really used, and still could use, the university'$ help with the skatepark. They never did and I can't figure out why.

I love Texas State, if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have bikini's in February now would we?

I think it's pretty safe to say that there really wouldn't be much of a San Marcos with out TSU and versa visa.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:45 AM  

More school cooperation

Agreed A2...I think that the town and the university are more reliant on each other than either would like to to admit.

That being said, when I moved here for graduate school 3 1/2 years ago, I did start to notice a very real "ivory tower" perception of the university from the rest of SM citizens. I know that the TSU administrators are not guilt free when considering the source of this disgruntlement. This general view may be part of the reason that the high school has such poor graduation and continuation to college rates. Usually in towns with universities, you get the exact opposite. Based on my experience, people in college towns generally grow up expecting to go to college because it just seems like the natural next step.

I love the Bobcat Build program and think that is a valuable step in the right direction. I can think of so many more things, though. For example, in the city in Kansas where I got my first degree, my department (Biology) jumped at the opportunity to cooperate with the middle school teachers to have a fun science field day for 7th and 8th graders. It was first organized when I was a junior and still, every spring, the middle school students are bussed out to a plot of tallgrass prairie land that is owned and managed by the university biology department for one day. Professors, grad students, and undergrads volunteer their time to set up and lead different science-related stations (e.g. GPS, animal track casts, physics rockets and sound waves, etc) that the students visit in groups throughout the day. The students have a blast and are reportedly left with an improved interest in science. This also leads to friendly relations between the community and university because parents and kids appreciate the attention and opportunities. I could totally see something like this working here with the River and Aquarena Center biology faculty and students. Also, my old university regularly invited grade schoolers to come to campus for various activities (e.g. library "fun" days, plays, planetarium shows, museum viewings, etc.). I think this type of interplay is essential to building a solid, amiable relationship between the community and university.

Here's to hoping the university can start engaging the town...
Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
This general view may be part of the reason that the high school has such poor graduation and continuation to college rates.
wasen't mayor susan narvaiz a high school drop out? i thought i recall she was a drop out and her highest level of education was a GED.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:13 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
wasen't mayor susan narvaiz a high school drop out? i thought i recall she was a drop out and her highest level of education was a GED.
W. went to Yale and Harvard and Abraham Lincoln was largely self educated, your point?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by brete View Post
W. went to Yale and Harvard and Abraham Lincoln was largely self educated, your point?
i don't know if it's true or not. i could be really wrong which i apologize in advance for. just something been floating around for awhile now.

if it is true then you have the mayor, top official in town. who is a HS drop out and only has a GED.

you have a town with high drop out rates. the mayor should be a role model for children. how could she preach or encourage them to stay in school when she dropped out of HS and went on to become mayor of the city?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:35 PM  

While I am not the mayor's biggest fan, I would say if that is true, at least she got her GED and seems not to have let it hold her back. Not everyone really can control whether or not they can finish high school and the GED gives them a chance to prove an equivalent educational level.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:06 PM  

i do agree it has not held her back. however you have the mayor of a city with high drop out rates who is herself a drop out. not the best role model to our children trying to promote staying in school in my opinion.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!