Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2003, 05:21 PM  

Too astute.

Quote:
It tricks people like you, into thinking we texans will receive cuts in insurance, or stop lawsuits because there is a cap. But that is all just speculation, whose to say the Big Business and insurance companies will pass the savings on to us?

Durango, you ain't lying....for certain. First; you're right - nothing garuntees Big Businesses will pass the savings onto you and me if allowed to regulate caps on malpractice awards. Definately wishful thinking - see Cailfornia.

What does exist in this proposition is a way to subvert the decision-making power of juries and reduce the average attraction to trials perpetuated by potentially huge sums of cash. While I agree with your reasoning that to remove the constitutional right to a trial by jury for such cases could represent a step towards abuse of justifiable damage awards by big money interests, it may be the only significant way to change the growing trend enough to actually affect the system - soon enough to have noticable impact within our lifetime.

Having a interest-managed "cap" does not distract legal teams from attempting to justify different types of awards, and even ammending the constitution may not dissuade lawyers from seeking higher sums. While it could restrict basic appeals on ground level for people seeking damages in excess of established caps, it may not hold so for suits filing for federal representation - which is where the larger more heinous suits should air their differences - the actual penalties for big business are never stiff enough within the confines of regional/civil courts, which is why this may end up backfiring on big businesses.

What do you think?

- MA

Old 09-15-2003, 03:46 PM  
A2

I think it passed.
I think that it's stupid that only 16% of the population voted.
I think that it's weird that every single proposition passed.

I think I want to move to the country and grow/raise my own food...

A2

PS....Mcoy's sucks. And they shouldn't be building on the east side of the expressway. If they do they should help pay to widen Wonderworld and build an overpass over the rail road tracks. And if I find out their getting a tax break I'm going to freak out.

And where has hodges been...It's his damn bored and he don't even post on here.

Old 09-15-2003, 06:34 PM  

that is sad not many ppl voted, but was expected.

Is it weird that they all passed nope. One word "politcis".

The low voter turnout is attributed to the day the voting was held on, it's not synonymous w/ general elections that are usually held in november.

Second, the majority, 90% of the propositions, were charitable suggestions or would not have a major impact for texas. Such as giving old fire equipment to cities who cannot afford their own, or freezing tax on ld ppl.

When you disquise prop 12 within these "Its the best thing to do" propositions, then it only seems wise to vote straight ticket. I wouldn't want my doctor to lose a job, and poor aunt sally can barely afford her monthly payments.

Thanks to tons of funding, big business, insurances, and doctors got their way to hold an election on a low voter turnout day.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 AM  

Mt. Horeb, wi
Jaed lost any respect when they started out their point with a personal attack against the poster. It does nothing to add to the debate. Yes, I know I'm not adding to the prop discussion but sometimes you have to point out the useless statements of others that are designed to distract attention away from the presentation of a weak argument.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 PM  

San Marcos
A few observations:

Jaed is probably not a "medical professional."

Lexled is probably not "VP of a business in Houston."

governance is, in fact, a real word.

Most of these people are gone.

This thread is seven years old.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.