Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 PM  

semi,
I didn't think you were, I was just giving a bit more detail on my statement.

So at the top of Sessom (just before it turns into Academy) the school is finishing up a new sidewalk. Unfortunately they are putting a wall up along the hill. This wall makes it inconvenient to get to Alamo St., the only street in that neighborhood with a sidewalk. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

As I understand it, the university has plans to expand bike routes. It's one of the parts of the Master Plan, making the whole campus more bike and ped friendly (and why they are going to be taking out a few parking lots and putting in more garages) Hopefully, they will talk a little bit with the city about where they are going to run... If they actually stick to the Master Plan, I see some good things coming of it.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:36 PM  

question...

For all you people that are debating about the vote that went on Tuesday and Wednesday, why is it such a bad thing? I'm somewhat with Bobcatfan, he's passionate about something that apparently 6,000 people think is going to be great for this University. Becoming a FBS program is a huge leap from where we are today. As a student here I would like to look back in 10-20 years and say, 'I went to Texas State' and be proud because by then they might be competing with schools like UT, A&M, Tech, and OU. People look at schools because of their athletics and who they compete with from the outside. Only people know about a schools academics because 1. they went there, or 2. because their child wants to go there. But how many times do you turn on the TV during football season and know about a good team that's on the road to the National Championship and you know about their academics? There's only a few schools I can think of like Stanford, USC, UT and that's about it. This will be good for Texas State, it will put us on the map one day, just like our name change did. Texas State states POWER, I don't care how many people didn't like the idea 5 years ago to change the name, but I think every student today appreciates the name change. I know I sure do.

Now to the division of the donation that was given to the University two days ago, I think it was quite normal. Big universities get huge donations all the time and aren't split 50:50. Donations build football stadiums, basketball arenas, volleyball complexes, tennis complexes, give girl's soccer teams locker rooms, so why was giving a million dollars to OUR athletic fund so bad? $300,000 dollars to our business program is just a start! It's an open door to alumni's eyes to give their money to the school in which they graduated. I'm pretty sure there was a huge donation given to the McCoy Business building to build it. So where's the problem? That donation is what gave us the business school we have today. People are seeing that with our name change that our school is growing very quickly and positively. Donations will probably start rolling in all over campus heavily for the next few years. People want this place to grow, they want the name to become history. Be open to what's going on and proud to be a part of history, I sure am. I can't wait for the day to be sitting in my living room with my children watching football on the TV and say that's where I went to college. Or to hopefully one day be able to buy season tickets to a student packed Maroon-Out stadium and just bask is the glory of our football program!

Being a student athlete I'm very excited about what's going on even though in the long run, I'm not benefitting from any of this. I'm excited for the people that come in behind me and will represent TEXAS STATE. Maybe with the money that is being brought into the athletic programs women's athletics will start to really shine as they can bring Texas State to a nationally known program like UT or Nebraska or USC!

I also want to say I really like reading what you guys have to say, because I don't know all about the University and all the plans they have going on and how the campus effects the community around us, but I do just hope that everyone will soon start to see the benefits this will have on our university and community! I think it will really help!!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:42 PM  

San Marcos
That's a great example, eljefe, because the city is going to build a bike/ped path along RR12 from Craddock to Holland, but we can't figure out how to get onto campus. One route we thought of was down Alamo and across (coming in from Coers Circle), but we ran into some difficulties at Alamo and Sessom. We also thought of going in on Holland by the new garage, but got no response one way or the other from the university.

So, it appears that the path will just end at Holland and RR12 and the students will have to fend for themselves from there. I'm sure it will work out ok. It's not like they'll just get to the end of the path and start spinning in circles, but it is a busy intersection (set to get a lot busier) and there will be no easy way for them to get through on foot or on a bike. It could be so much better, with a modicum of participation from the university.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:51 PM  

San Marcos
bc1192, I was not opposed to this. I originally commented that it was an opportunity to repair the town and gown relationship, but questioned whether the university would take advantage of that opportunity.

Then, someone commented that this might deepen the town/gown divide and bobcatfan said that argument was crap and challenged anyone to cite an example of how this could create problems.

So, I cited some examples of how this could create problems and in a disturbingly predictable fashion, bobcatfan went on the attack, telling us all that we were *******s and out to get the students and the cause of all the problems in the world and on and on and on and punctuated it with a hearty "**** you if you don't like it" which is a perfect example of why the town/gown rift continues to grow.

For my part, I should have realized by the tone of the question that bobcatfan was not really interested in hearing anything and was merely starving for a fight. I took the bait and that was my bad, for sure. Sadly, when people like him show up, holding themselves out as the voice of the students, they do more damage to the rest of you than you can imagine.

So, I will say again that this is a great opportunity for the university to reach out to former students and the city as a whole and bring us back into the fold. Based on the vitriol spewed here and the history with the university (one of the unfortunate benefits some of us have, for having been here so long) I question whether that outreach will take place.

Perhaps you, as a student athlete, can spearhead that outreach. It is clear that bobcatfan has no use for any of us. Perhaps because he plans to leave as soon as he graduates and the success/failure of this effort and the relationship with the city have no value to him. He wanted to put the FBS move on his resume and now he can.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:59 PM  

outreach..

I guess I just don't understand how this wouldn't reach out to the community and why you think the University wouldn't take the opportunity to do so?

And what do you mean by that too? Like what actions do you feel should happen between the University and the Community? Are you talking about things like new roads, bridges, garages? I'm just a little confused on why people would think that we as a university wouldn't want to reach out to our own community? I mean you guys house Texas State. And believe me, I'm very very grateful. I think San Marcos is an AMAZING town.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:17 PM  

San Marcos
Anything the university could think of to make the city and the former students feel a part of this would be huge.

Anything the university could think of to do to work with the city to plan for and meet the challenges that this will almost certainly bring would be huge.

I'm not saying that the move to FBS *requires* an outreach to the city and former students, I'm just saying it is a great opportunity. If Denise Trauth came out and said "We can't do this without you and we wouldn't want to" and listed off a bunch of initiatives to get the greater community involved, whether they were big deals like expanding Bobcat Build, not so big deals like getting the city more involved in homecoming every year, or really really not so big deals like San Marcos appreciation day or a section in the stands reserved for rowdy locals and some purple (San Marcos) Bobcat gear for us to wear, to let our rivals know that when they come to face the Bobcats, they have to face us all; anything like that would be great.

Who knows? The possibilities are limitless and the timing is perfect. As it stands, we're just kind of on the outside, looking in and periodically being greeted by bobcatfan as we drive by. I went to high school thousands of miles from here. I went to college in the same buildings (mostly) that you have classes. I feel more welcome at a Rattlers game (which I attend all the time) than a Bobcats game.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:37 PM  

San Marcos
Man, that purple Bobcat **** is the best idea I've ever heard anywhere. I'm a ******* genius. It could be like the Black Hole in Oakland or the Dog Pound in Cleveland. You could even put us on the 50-yard line on the visiting side or something.

******* brilliant.

When someone finally does this, remember where you saw it first.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 PM  

Bobcatfan...shut up. You aren't helping. I worked my ass off on this campaign too and I hope you weren't talking to anybody about anything. Factually, you are barely correct. Personally, you sound like an a**hole.

I hate this. I hate unneeded division. Why create wars where they don't need to happen? We had a great win but a victory lap is not needed. Your mouth is not needed. You input is not needed. You make us look silly, petulant and worthy of contempt. Stop. Talking. Now.

I think this move to FBS will be good for everyone though. Of course there's going to be some growing pains but they will get worked out. I have faith in this.

This doesn't need to be so bipolar. Extremists on both sides piss me off. The middle is a nice place. Why don't we meet there and have a nice talk.

Seriously though Bobcatfan...STFU.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:36 PM  

San Marcos
SeanW, thanks for that and congratulations on your victory. I hope that more like you, bc1192 and eljefe will continue to speak out, here and elsewhere, and remind the rest of us that bobcatfan is the exception and not the rule. Enough of that and the town/gown divide might disappear.

You're all welcome in my purple section any time.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:57 PM  

No problem Semi. We really are all in this together. I'm just sorry we have to deal with ******bags like bobcatfan. Makes life harder for everyone.

If this move is really going to work we can't exclude the city. We want them to benefit from this as much as us. That means Texas State's administration is going to have to kick in. We, as students, did the hard part (convincing our fellow students to double their fee) but now the folks in JCK need to do theirs. That's not just with athletics. Traffic and parking have to be the top priorities when talking about infrastructure. I think that's something both longtime residents and students can all agree on and you make an excellent point about the tailgating debris too. I don't think Bobcatfan has ever been to a game if he/she thinks it's spotless out there.

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to have a city/school liaison strictly for this athletics move because it will cause some problems. If not a liaison then some sort of committee to find the problems before they get to be big problems. Regardless Texas State and San Marcos have to be on the same page otherwise all this hard work will be for nothing.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!