Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia > Savannah
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2011, 05:32 PM  

Recommended Hotels on the River Front

Anyone have good/bad experiences with hotels in the historic district on or near River and Bay streets?
We have been to Savannah many times, mostly staying at the Oglethorpe Lodge on Bay Street. Pricey, but for a weekend alone with the wife, it has been worth it...until the last time we went 2 years ago. It was owned by the Hampton Inn, but the Holiday Inn which went up recently between the two properties has since bought it and it has gone downhill significantly.
It has been decorated in a way that does not suit it's history and the overall condition is no better than 3 star. Soooo...we are looking for a new place to stay for a weekend and were considering the Hilton on the river, but we are open to suggestions.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:21 PM  

Savannah, GA
When my wife and I need an "in town vacation" we stay at the River Street Inn. Nice to be pampered and very convenient.

David

Old 01-08-2011, 01:06 PM  

Dave, can you post some pictures of this place, which just might make my "bucket list"?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:30 AM  

Savannah, GA
I don't have any of my own to post but here are the ones from the site. You can hear the revelers on River Street on a busy weekend night but the view is excellent on that side. The rooms on the Bay Street side look out over the park so they are nice too. I usually ask for a River Street room on the top floor.

River Street Inn Savannah - Photo Tour

And the beignets downs stairs at Huey's remind me of Cafe du Monde.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:15 PM  

We have eaten at Huey's quite a few times. I have wondered if the River Street Inn was a nice place or not. I didn't have a good feel about it. Tell me what you like/dislike about it please. Details are appreciated and others might be just as interested in reading all about it as I am

When I plug the addy into Google Earth, it shows scaffolding from Tubby's on the corner to halfway to the Hyatt hotel. Since you are local, do you know if this construction/restoration/whatever is finished now or will be before March?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:02 AM  

Raleigh, NC
river street inn

best place to stay for sure. they will def take care of you
Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 AM  

River street inn is pretty cool. You may also try the Bohemian.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 AM  

I've stayed at both Marriots on business, The Bohemian on West Bay and regular Marriot at the end of River St, and both are great. The Bohemian is a little pricier, by about $80 a night higher.
The Mulberry Inn on E Bay, across from River St is run by Holiday Inn, and runs around $120 or less a night, which is the best economical bet when on a family trip.
While there, check out the Chop House, great restaurant.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM  

I stayed at the Marriott last September/October and thought it was nice. They have a very large patio on the river and if you ger a river view room with a balcony wit is a lot of fun to watch the giant cargo ships come and go. If you have a computer with you you can find a map that shows the ships' location, their destination, and their cargo.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:10 PM  

Where can you stay to avoid the gang-bangers?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia > Savannah
Bookmark this Page!