Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Scranton / Wilkes-Barre
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2010, 12:44 PM  

State College, PA
Anyone been to Lionshead?

Is it Lionshead or Lion brewery? I saw it driving through there and was curious about it.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:47 PM  

Actually what you saw was Lion Brewery. Lionshead is one of their beers but they do have a gian Lion head on the brewery.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:48 PM  

I should have mentioned also that Lion Brewery brews a number of their own beers like Lionshead, Stegmaier and Gibbons as well as a number of contract brews.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:22 PM  

Baltimore, Maryland
Is Lion Brewery in Wilkes-Barre or Scranton? I'm headed to Wilkes-Barre next week and would like to check it out.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 AM  

It's in Wilkes-Barre. They do tours, but not every day, so if you're interested in touring I'd contact them first. You can see it from Rt 309 & Wilkes-Barre Blvd
Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM  

State College, PA
I heard they also brew and bottle Malta Goya (I know some homebrewers use this as starter wort, since it's malt and water in a sanitary package).
Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 AM  

State College, PA
a relative just told me his former boss had a contract brew done there. Turns out one of my guild class-mates also has worked there.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:48 AM  

Yes they do bottle all sorts of malted sodas. We also had them on my radio show this morning featuring their Winter Warmer. A great brewery for sure.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM  

Scranton, PA
Malta Goya & Lions Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
I heard they also brew and bottle Malta Goya (I know some homebrewers use this as starter wort, since it's malt and water in a sanitary package).
That is correct. They do make that, along with various sodas and beers. Some of the beer they brew is actually quite good.

FYI, I would shy away from using Malta Goya in your homebrew. I've never tried it, but I have yet to hear anybody being happy with it.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 AM  

State College, PA
not using it in the brew, but to grow starter wort. It's just unhopped, unfermented wort that is chilled and carbonated. Let it warm up, degas it a bit and viola.
I drink the stuff on occasion and I buy the packs of little bottles for the kids. The kids call it "kid beer" and like to have one of their beers while I have one of mine. It tastes just like starter wort.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Scranton / Wilkes-Barre
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads