Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington > Seattle / Tacoma
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM  

Thanks for the information. You are not the first to tell me to purchase premium and actually save money. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 PM  

Spanaway, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu
Thanks for the information. You are not the first to tell me to purchase premium and actually save money. Just doesn't make sense to me.
It's pretty confusing sometimes. Alot of people think that putting premium fuel in their car ( that does not recommend premium) they think it adds more power.. But unless your car is designed for premium you WILL NOT get improvements.... But since you said your car does recommend premium then it runs more efficiently on premium.

Premium fuel allows the fuel air mixture to be compressed more without detonating. Detonating is the mixture exploding In the cylinder. (that's a bad thing). When it's able to compress more it can create more power with the same amount of fuel!

When you put regular fuel in there the computer detunes the computer basically saving the motor from destroying itself. But in doing that it makes less power also less gas mileage.

But put premium back in and it will tune back to its optimum setting and make more power and more mileage!

It's fairly complex without a working knowledge of engine mechanics but I would highly recommend using the fuel that's recommended.

If your car asks for 87 octane. Don't use more cause your wasting money. ( octane does not mean more power it just means its resistance to detonation)

If your car asks for 92+ use premium. Its what it's designed for and that's how it gets the most efficiency out of the motor, better mileage and more power!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 PM  

Yeah, stupid me. I test drive the Lexus, open the hood, kick the tires, make the purchase. A few days later I fill the tank, open the gas door, and what do I see? Premium fuel only!

Funny thing is the (soon to be ex-) wife has a newer Toyota Avalon. Exact same engine, but requires only regular fuel. Darn Japan!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM  

Spanaway, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu
Yeah, stupid me. I test drive the Lexus, open the hood, kick the tires, make the purchase. A few days later I fill the tank, open the gas door, and what do I see? Premium fuel only!

Funny thing is the (soon to be ex-) wife has a newer Toyota Avalon. Exact same engine, but requires only regular fuel. Darn Japan!
The engine block is the same but they are not the same parts in it. The Lexus uses higher compression and different cams. Changing the compression ratio is the main reason for needing a specific fuel type.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington > Seattle / Tacoma
Bookmark this Page!