Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington > Seattle / Tacoma
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2010, 11:20 PM  

Spanaway, Washington
i use The Beer Essentials in lakewood.

it is only a few miles from my house so its an added plus. i have heard there expensive but i have never been to another LBHS to compare.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:20 PM  

Spanaway, Washington
i use The Beer Essentials in lakewood.

it is only a few miles from my house so its an added plus. i have heard there expensive but i have never been to another LBHS to compare.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 AM  

Seattle
Cellar Homembrew is my favorite local spot. The person who said it's not clean has strange priorities. It's never struck me as a dirty spot, and don't you clean everything at home before you start making beer anyway?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM  

Tacoma, wa
+4 on Larrys

Beer Essentials is WAAAAY to overpriced on everything and they act like the High Fidelity of LHBS. And they know there the only local shop in town.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:15 PM  

Seattle, WA
Go Larry's

It looks like Larrys has it. There are 2 good brew supply stores around Seattle. One north Cellars and One south Larry's. I'm a larry's shopper they kick Cellar's butt at prices. But I do understand the Cellar's point of view because Cellars has way better hours especially if you need something on the weekends. Better to pay more for something and have it than to not have it at all. Especially when you need it. Like that extra oz of Warrior Hops that you need to make your IBU quota!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:05 PM  

Beer Essentials people are not the most helpful. I will agree with all these folks though and say that Larry's is the place to go.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:47 AM  

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonian View Post
Cellar Homembrew is my favorite local spot. The person who said it's not clean has strange priorities. It's never struck me as a dirty spot, and don't you clean everything at home before you start making beer anyway?
My first and only time there - found the store layout to be tight and confusing - beer supplies and equipment where littered around the place between soda and cheese making supplies. I was thinking of getting a mini keg setup and they had half of everything (party pig, tap-a-draft, etc.)

It's not that it has to be clean. But if I'm pretty much paying the same price as Bob's then those smaller things make a difference. Like cleanliness, how long it takes me to find my ingredients, and organize my grains. Also, Bob has always acknowledged my presence and been helpful. The cellar ignored me so I was happy to collect my 3#s of DME and not come back.

Me think Bobs > Cellar

before this gets into internet shouting match - that's just been my experience and preferences. Cellar's been around a long time AND they have a website. People like them so they're doing something right.

And while Cellar is getting a lot of attention here, has anyone tried their cheese making classes? I figure if there's a reason for me to go back it would be for something along those lines. Thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM  

Seattle
Fair comment on Cellar. I'm just used to that sort of place as all the homebrew stores I've ever been to are just as chaotic. Anyway, they are only a couple of miles from my house and there's no way I'm driving to Kent instead. I may check out Bob's at some point if I'm in the neighborhood. A friend picked up some candy sugar there for me once when no one else in the city had any left, but I haven't been to the store personally.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:27 PM  

I would love to shop at Mountain Homebrew and Wine for most things except they are very expensive, so I prefer drving to Larry's in Kent .
Old 12-25-2010, 08:10 AM  

Silverdale, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I've had great experiences at Olympic Brewing Supplies in Bremerton for those of us in the West Sound.

2817 Wheaton Way Ste 102
Bremerton, WA 98310
(360) 373-1094
Olympic Brewing

The staff is very knowledgeable and willing to help. Prices aren't too bad either!
A big +1 for Olympic!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington > Seattle / Tacoma
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads