Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington > Seattle / Tacoma
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2010, 02:42 PM  

Des Moines, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by moku View Post
Hello all, I'm looking to move next year to the SEATAC airport area. I'll be working out of there and I would like to get some insight on the nearby towns and possible places to live. I want a short drive to the airport, a place with a nice view, small town "feel", and good schools. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
You might try DesMoines,Wa. I've lived here all my life. That would be you best bet. Just my opinion mind you.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 AM  

elizabeth city, nc
I think most of my schedule will be morning (0600ish? at the airport). I'm not sure how the traffic is at that time, but I'll definetly be checking out these areas on our house hunting trip.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:11 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
I think most of my schedule will be morning (0600ish? at the airport). I'm not sure how the traffic is at that time, but I'll definetly be checking out these areas on our house hunting trip.
I've been all over this area at many times of the day, and at 6am unless there's snow/ice/accident there is no traffic to worry about until at least 6:30, most often 7:00 is when it starts and doesn't peak until about 8. The big employers
like Boeing and Microsoft have done a good job of staggering their start times
which makes the commute "hour" last longer, but not many start at 6am.
When you come out you should try the various commutes before settling on an area, in addition to checking out the schools and crime rates.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 PM  

Kent, WA
I definately agree with bisjoe. Pick a few areas to look at and check the commute times and direction. When I lived in Issaquah a few years ago I traveled near peak times, but in the opposite direction. So I could drive by and smile thinking, "I'm glad I'm not stuck in that!" That might work for you too, as I would head out of Issaquah into Renton on SR 900 (and avoiding all interstates).
Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 PM  

I grew up in Kent. But that was when the population was only 1100 people. I went back years later and could hardly find the home I lived in.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 PM  

Seattle, WA
Quote:
Hello all, I'm looking to move next year to the SEATAC airport area. I'll be working out of there and I would like to get some insight on the nearby towns and possible places to live. I want a short drive to the airport, a place with a nice view, small town "feel", and good schools. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Check out North Hill which is a neighborhood in Des Moines which can give you nice views of Mount Rainier and the Puget Sound or Normandy Park which depending on your wallet has some nice sound views.

Here's a view from North Hill - Des Moines.

Suyama Images | Landscape (Color)
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 AM  

Tacoma, WA
Des Moines is definitely a nice "small" town close to the airport. Just try to find a place closer to "downtown" and not directly on Highway 99.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 AM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnansi View Post
Just try to find a place closer to "downtown" and not directly on Highway 99.
That is a good general rule from Tacoma to Everett. . .
Old 01-22-2011, 12:14 AM  

Tacoma, WA
Des Moines sounds like where you want to go. It's about 10 minutes from the airport, has water views, and the downtown (if you can call it that) is still pretty small and hasn't changed much since 1980.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:16 PM  

I'd check out covington/maple valley before bellevue/issaquah. You'll find your money going much farther. Also commute wise you should avoid 405 almost entirely.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington > Seattle / Tacoma
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.