Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Shopping / Consumer Products
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2016, 05:58 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
So the woman here is about to cut my balls off if I don't buy a washing machine that works this weekend. I'm in desperate shape on this one and need some help. I would like to know if anyone with experience with them could tell me about front loader washing machines and it they clean good? Don't care how much I spend as long as it works real good on nasty, dirty cloths.
They clean better and use less water, but they're expensive. We're in the same boat as our washer quit.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:00 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
With a front loader you can't add a sock you missed. On Amazon reviews some that had the GE top loader that I am bemoaning were saying Speed Queen is better and that many laundromats use them. Big box stores don't seem to carry Speed Queen though.
Yep yep! The Speed queens are also American made whereas the others, all of them, are china made.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:46 PM  

Lehman's used to carry the Staber washer, a top loading horizontal axis machine. Someone on Amazon said their customer service is poor but that doesn't give a clue as to how many customers are satisfied and just don't post reviews. I wonder why Lehman's dropped them from their catalog?
http://www.staber.com/washingmachines
Old 02-07-2016, 02:14 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Lehman's used to carry the Staber washer, a top loading horizontal axis machine. Someone on Amazon said their customer service is poor but that doesn't give a clue as to how many customers are satisfied and just don't post reviews. I wonder why Lehman's dropped them from their catalog?
http://www.staber.com/washingmachines
Found a analog control Speed Queen at Manual Josephs Appliances in Sacramento area. They don't stock them but keep them in their distribution center in East Bay. Will be here Tuesday by noon. Read several reviews on Speed Queen top loaders and LG front loaders and decided to go with Speed Queen. Real simple machine and is supposed to clean exceptionally well in about 1/2 the time of most other washers.
Woman will know by no later than Wednesday next week if she has to neuter me or not.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:55 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
Found a analog control Speed Queen at Manual Josephs Appliances in Sacramento area. They don't stock them but keep them in their distribution center in East Bay. Will be here Tuesday by noon. Read several reviews on Speed Queen top loaders and LG front loaders and decided to go with Speed Queen. Real simple machine and is supposed to clean exceptionally well in about 1/2 the time of most other washers.
Woman will know by no later than Wednesday next week if she has to neuter me or not.
Let us know how it works for her. I want to have my decision made and be ready to pounce when our GE fails or I am fed up with it.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:10 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
I have a friend who owns a Laundromat. He bought some front loaders to replace some of his top loaders. He says the water saving is substantial, but he gets a lot of customer complaints about the clothes not coming clean.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:51 PM  
Traveler

Since our washer quit the other day, I made one trip to the mat and all the machines in that spot were front loaders. No top loaders at all.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:55 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
His new front loaders are all double loaders, the top loaders are singles. He has a lot of single people who only need a single loader.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:26 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
One thing I know about front loaders is that if you don't keep on top of them in cleaning they are mold incubators. My 82 YO mother had a set of LG's and she was not pleased with the mold issue they can bring. She has Maytag top loader now, but, finds it lacking in cleaning performance she had with washing machines years ago. Also, the digital controls are sketchy for her which is the reason I went with no frills, old fashion, analog controls. My thinking is that less is more in this case. Will find out in a couple of days.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:09 PM  

Because of my wife's health I do the wash. The way I do it requires a top loader. I run a low level of hot water with detergent and sodium percarbonate add washcloths and other whites that can stand the heat and let them soak until cool. Then I add other items and continue the fill with cold water. If I had analog control I could wash a bit before soak then set timer back to give the rest of the load a full wash. It sounds like I need an analog Speed Queen before the government tightens the screws on them and they become history like the Whirlpool/Kenmore.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Shopping / Consumer Products
Bookmark this Page!