Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Skyline / Buildings
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 PM  

St Louis, MO
St Louis, Infrared.

Here is a couple of photos of St Louis taken from the Gateway Arch in Infrared and a couple of he Arch it's self.

Few more Here.

Enjoy!

Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Number three's pretty outstanding. Nice pictures!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 AM  

St Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Thanks,

That reflecting pond almost always provides a great shot.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
New background outstanding!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 PM  

None, WV
Those are pretty nifty.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:37 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
What is your IR set up? I am thinking and have always been interested in IR photo. But everytime I get the money to get a decent IR camera everyone else finds a reason to spend it.

I have done some photoshop IR.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:01 AM  

St Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
What is your IR set up? I am thinking and have always been interested in IR photo. But everytime I get the money to get a decent IR camera everyone else finds a reason to spend it.

I have done some photoshop IR.
The top photo was take with a Canon G7 that I converted to IR and the other two were taken with a Canon G6 that I converted to IR. I currently only have the G7, but would like to find another G6 or S5IS, they both have LCD's that rotate, makes composing a shot much easier.

The G7 has had clear glass installed in-place of the factory IR cut filter (hot mirror) and then I use a Hoya 720nm filter on the front of the camera. Because it uses a front filter it's possible to do full spectrum images (just don't put a filter on) or regular images by using a hot mirror front filter. I find it's easier to carry a second camera.

The G6 has had the factory IR cut filter (hot mirror) replaced with a 720nm filter. It can only take IR images.

I have converted and sold quite a few of these cameras on ebay in the past but as with everything else the market for them tanked last year, and I couldn't break even.

If you are handy and have good eyes you can do it your self. The Canon G2 is one of the few that I found didn't need the focus adjusted when converted. You can probably find instructions on-line, just make sure if you put the IR filter in the camera use a Hoya, as the off brand IR filters are different thickness and also have a different band pass, they say 720nm, but they aren't I know first hand.

GAW
Old 10-05-2010, 02:36 PM  

Lodi, NJ
IR is a filter or a setting? The photos look great btw, looks like something I will do.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM  

St Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoy View Post
IR is a filter or a setting? The photos look great btw, looks like something I will do.
You need a filter to do IR, the most common is the Hoya R72. You can do IR images with a regular camera and filter but because of the long exposures it can be a challenge. Most digital cameras have a filter inside that blocks most all IR light from reaching the sensor (the newer the camera the less IR will pass). The Hoya R72 filter only lets IR light pass, if you look at it, it will look opaque. The photos above were taken with cameras that had the internal IR blocking filter removed. It's definitely worth experimenting with the camera you have, a filter will set you back $30-50 depending where you get it and the size, where getting a camera converted can cost hundreds and it will most likely only do IR from then on.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:36 AM  

Herning, Midtjylland
simply amazing

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Skyline / Buildings
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads