Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts > Somerville
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 PM  

somerville, massachusetts
CSA's

Hi, does anybody here subscribe to a CSA? If you eat local vegetables in the boston area, I would like to hear about which farms are you support! I am a farmers market person myself but want to hear about what you like or dislike about your csa (community supported agriculture). or really anything you have to say about local farms and eating fresh foods!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 PM  

Maynard, MA
We've done the Food Project CSA in Lincoln. We like it since you are not required to volunteer. There are others nearby that require volunteering if that is what you are into.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:31 PM  

I've done the spring, summer, and fall CSA's through Heavens Harvest farm out in New Braintree. Pretty good overall, though they occasionally (esp early spring and later fall and more in winter) substitute fruit from partner farms not in the area, so it's not 100% local (all are organic/natural/'local'-type farms however). If you have a decent-sized group (my co-workers formed a group) they will deliver to your site, otherwise they have a bunch of drop-off locations throughout the greater boston area.

I haven't tried any others, so can't comment there! maybe next year, good luck!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:53 AM  

Cambridge, MA
Boston Organics

In my experience it depends a lot on where you live. I'm in Cambridge and driving to, for example, Brookline, isn't worth it. But one really appealing option I've been considering is Boston Organics (Boston Organics: Delivering Fresh Organic Produce to Your Door!). They do delivery and are even bonded to hold a front door key, should you want to have them drop it off during the work week. Prices seem to start around $24/month, and you can opt for weekly, or every-other-week delivery. But I have not yet tried it, myself.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:33 PM  

Boston, MA
Hand's down the best one I've found (and I've researched the heck out of them) is Waltham Fields Community Farm. Not only do they have a CSA, but they also donate a huge amount of produce to local food banks/pantries. What I like about their CSA is that they are close to the city and your share includes a pick-your-own component. It's really refreshing to go to the farm and feel close to the land. But probably the biggest thing is that I've compared with friends who have other CSAs and hands down you get more from these folks for your money. The drawback is that is often fills up quickly and folks who are already in it get first dibs.

Waltham Fields Community Farm

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Massachusetts > Somerville
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads