Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > South Carolina
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2010, 10:12 AM  

Mount Pleasant, SC
Hidden gems in coastal SC

What are some hidden gems in coastal S.C.?

Meaning, if you had friends who were visiting the area, where would you recommend they go to have a wonderful experience outside of the regular touristy places? I'm not just talking about restaurants, but anywhere off the beaten trail/

My personal choices would be:

1. Capers Island for a day trip in the summer, it's so beautiful and desolate out there.
2. Walking trails in the Francis Marion forest when it's not summer (too hot).

Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 PM  

Charleston, SC
Fort Moultrie. It is a tourist spot, but it is not well known and a great place for a family; especially one with boys (just because it's sexist doesn't mean it isn't true).

Old 10-23-2010, 10:39 AM  

charleston/mt p, sc
ACE basin, Seabrook/Kiawah/rockville area all have some beautiful scenery. Magnolia Gardens is popular, but for good reason, as well as middleton place.

i really like the suggestions you posted and would add Dewees island and bulls bay as well.

when i have friends in the area that really want to sightsee i try to let them experience the local's-type places, sullivans island, folly beach, some local restaurants etc all have this feel. restaurants like Seewee and The wreck, the boathouse and most of the places on sullivans are good examples.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:11 PM  

Florence, SC, SC
Coastal kayaking tour at Huntington beach state park on Mondays, register with ranger station ahead of time.

Coastal Kayaking?Enjoy a two hour guided tour of the salt marsh. Excellent for beginners, participants need to reserve a spot at the Education Center
(235-8755) by 4:00pm on Sunday prior to program. Designed for ages 9 and up, under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Please bring
drinking water, sunscreen, and lace up shoes that can get wet and muddy. Fee $30/per person. Meet at the Education Center, then caravan to
Oyster Landing. (2 hr.)
Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 PM  

Greenville, SC
places to visit in coastal SC

Edisto Island and Hunting Island are two of my favorites. Edisto is not touristy at all and there are many places there where you won't see anyone.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:43 AM  
Grin and Bear it!

Bluffton, South Carolina
Lowcountry Unfiltered

Check out little group "Lowcountry Unfiltered"
LowCountry Unfiltered - your kayaking, hiking, and just plain relaxing headquarters
We get together every second sat of every month and do day trips within 100(give or take)mile radius of Bluffton/Hilton Head to Kayak, Hike, and just road trip for different site and I can tell you the last three years we have barely scratched the surface on the "hidden gems" I suggest just hopping in the car and driving old savannah highway from Beaufort to Charleston you can't believe all the wildlife and historic sites.

My personal favorite has got to be in my back yard. The May River summer through winter Boating, Kayaking, Fishing, Drinking, etc it works!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:29 AM  

Florence, SC, SC
NICE! i have a 16' touring yak need a few day boats for a few buds. just want to get their feet wet and fish some... pm me. may set up a spring trip if you have a few extra yaks... if not... welll I'm in! my yak has been dry for too long! I hate paddling solo since moving south... too many mocs dropping from trees and scaring up big and small gators out of lillys! really! alll on same body of water!!! rather paddle with a bud to watch me DIE!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:14 PM  

Campobello, SC
Its not really Coastal, but its not far and worth the stop on the way in, SOUTH OF THE BOARDER on I-95 is like a trip back in time. You have to check it out.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 PM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

Charlotte, North Carolina
Kiawah Island.

Absolutely beautiful. They have bike trails all over the island, a lot of shops, beautiful houses and apts. for rent.

Plus watch the gator chill out there is rather funny. They are everywhere.

The beaches are clean and beautiful.

Crabbing there is wonderful!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:09 PM  

Charleston, South Carolina
I would definitely do the kayak tours in the various coastal areas. These are tours that go out of Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant that are really relaxing and eye opening.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > South Carolina
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads