Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > South Dakota
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 01:06 PM  

Rapid City, South Dakota
Where to get the best steak in South Dakota

I will start it off by saying that the Cattleman's in Pierre has the best steak i have ever had

Old 10-23-2010, 05:47 AM  

Atlanta, GA
Preheat your oven to 500?, or as hot as it will go. Throw a cast iron pan in there to heat up with it.

Get a good flatiron steak and cut it in half. Pat it dry until a paper towel no longer will stick to it.

Cook 3 or 4 strips of bacon in a pan on the stovetop. Put the bacon aside (save it for making Bacon Brittle or something.) Turn your burner to high.

Take the pan out of the oven and put it on the burner. Dump the bacon fat into the pan. Bacon fat smoking? Okay, now drop your steaks into the pan. Wait 2 1/2 minutes, then turn the steaks over (use tongs, not a fork!) add some chevre cheese on the top if you want. Then put the whole pan, steaks and all, into the oven. Cook for between 4 1/2 and 6 minutes.

Take the pan out of the oven, and put the steaks onto a plate covered with tented aluminum foil to rest. Meantime, put the pan back on the burner (medium heat this time) and add a little alcohol (beer or wine), a touch of soy sauce, some strained pureed raspberries and some smoked jalape?o (paste is okay. We just want a bit of smoky heat here.) Add a bit of bef stock if you have it handy. Maybe add a pinch of dark brown sugar. Scrape the pan plenty as you reduce the stuff. When it's almost ready, pour the juice from the resting plate into the sauce and stir again. You should have been resting for about 8 minutes, maybe 9.

Pour the sauce on the steaks and serve with a couple twists of fresh pepper and salt on the side (bacon added some salt, as did the soy sauce. Don't overdo it!)

Old 11-16-2010, 02:06 AM  

Rapid City, South Dakota
The cattlemens does make an AWESOME steak, but i do have a hard time beating the steak from the beef we raise down on the farm in south central sd
Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 PM  

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
As far as best steak I've had in South Dakota - I'd say it's a tie between Foley's in Sioux Falls and the Tea Steak House. If I had to choose, probably Tea because is was sooo good for the ridiculously low price. Foley's is great for the atmosphere - probably the best all-around dining experience we've had in SD.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 PM  

Omaha, NE
Best steak in SD is a nice t-bone from my grandpa's ranch near Summit, SD...

From a restaurant, however, I'd have to say Foley's in Sioux Falls. Expensive, yes, but it's a nice steakhouse, what do you expect

Also, the Pit in Wakonda has a pretty decent steak for under $7
Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 AM  

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I would also, say Foley's. But when Hy-vee had the big T-bones on sale, I cooked a couple on the charcoal grill. Best steak i've ever had. Melt in my mouth.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:41 PM  

Sioux falls, SD
One that came from my Big Green Egg . I don't order steaks in restaraunts anymore.

Preheat the egg to as hot as it will go. 1000+ is easily reachable but usually I stop at around 800-900. Put the steak on for 90 seconds each side. Remove/foil the steaks to keep warm. Close the vents down on the Egg to get it to cool off. Once the temps have fallen down to the 400 degree mark put the steaks back on for 2 minutes a side.

You'll have the most perfectly done medium rare steak. Charcoal flavor, extremely juicy and perfectly seared. The brown ring is no more than 1/4" and the entire middle the perfect temp/color.

Unfortunately, it's too cold out for me to feel I need to stand over the grill and make a steak now
Old 01-04-2011, 11:00 PM  

Rapid City, South Dakota
How about the west side of the state? I like Shooters, but the Fire House has better beer. But I hear we are getting a Texas Roadhouse, which I have had before and is possibly the best I have had.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 AM  

The Black Steer in Yankton puts Foley's to shame any day, try their garlic dressing with your potato, it's like liquid crack, I have family there that actually mails it to me in the twin cities.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:12 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
What is it? Like tzaziki?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > South Dakota
Bookmark this Page!