Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Sports
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2011, 03:53 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Coaching Soccer...

So has anyone coached Soccer? I got "Volunteered" to coach my daughters team this spring season. I have never coached before let alone coach soccer. So anyone got any pointers for me. The nice thing is it is not a super competitive league.

To top it all off it is a group of 14 year old GIRLS. OMG What did my wife get me into.

This should be fun....

Coaching 3 days a week Computer cert classes 3 days a week. Oh man this is gonna get busy.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:48 PM  

Sammamish, WA
I coached for 12 years, U5 through U14, mostly girls. You'll have fun, the biggest problem with the girls is they are too polite. Steal the ball from an opponent and apologize!

Seriously, get into a coaching clinic. I ended up with the F, E, and D licenses plus a goalkeeping coach certificate. You will learn a lot and have fun at the clinics, playing. Have to be able to do it to demonstrate, especially with the older ones like you'll have.

I also have several books by Karl Dewazien who I met a few times when I coached in California. His website is a great help.

FUNdamental Youth Soccer Coaching Blog, News, and Articles

Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Thanks for that site. I read around and ordered some DVD's off of there.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 PM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I coached for 12 years, U5 through U14, mostly girls. You'll have fun, the biggest problem with the girls is they are too polite. Steal the ball from an opponent and apologize!
Where were you coaching? We were horrible and mean on the field.

I played for about 13yrs give or take. I ended up coaching little kids a little bit. Best advice, learn the game, then watch the game. Once you understand the game and see it, you essentially point them into the right direction. Depending on league type, you will also need some conditioning. Also well yeah get a coaching workshop, they are all over.

You are going to be their leader. Teach them what they need to know. I have had bad and good coaches. Once you learn the game, you will be able to give direction.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 AM  
mbj
I is the laws

Martinsburg, West Virginia
I have coached U12, U14, U16, U18, U19, girls and boys, indoor and outdoor. I always preferred coaching the girls. The older boys tended to think they already knew everything, girls were far more coachable.

I've always been a bigger picture coach. Every practice has a coaching point. We work on that point in a basic drill, a more advanced drill and then an even more advanced drill. I finish with short sided scrimmages in which I'm ready with the whistle to stop play and focus on that coaching point. I use the socratic method to get the players involved by asking them what went wrong or what went right when I stop play.

I also started a twitter page that posted links to professionals doing the coaching points I was trying to make. It was a good idea, but I really didn't have the time to keep it up.

Good luck and have fun. If you are having fun, the kids will too.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 PM  

Good advice given, but here's one that's real important. Do not get too close with the parents. They can ruin a good thing in a hurry. I've coached youth athletics for close to 30 years and have seen the wolves in sheep's clothing many times. Good luck, you're doing an admirable thing.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 AM  
mbj
I is the laws

Martinsburg, West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrx View Post
Good advice given, but here's one that's real important. Do not get too close with the parents. They can ruin a good thing in a hurry. I've coached youth athletics for close to 30 years and have seen the wolves in sheep's clothing many times. Good luck, you're doing an admirable thing.
a huge AMEN to that ... I never coached recreational, i.e. everybody has to play, leagues. I always tried to be fair, but not everybody played and not everybody played as much as other people. I've had parents bombard me with "why isn't my kid playing more" etc. It's a royal pain. I even had one mother of a girl that pulled her kid off the team in the middle of a tournament (a huge, regional championship tournament where all the participants were champions of their respective States) because she didn't get the start in goal. Never mind the other girl was far more talented. This woman said it was unfair because my starting goalie already had a college scholarship lined up and I was preventing her daughter from getting exposure to the college coaches in attendance. ugh
Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbj View Post
a huge AMEN to that ... I never coached recreational, i.e. everybody has to play, leagues. I always tried to be fair, but not everybody played and not everybody played as much as other people. I've had parents bombard me with "why isn't my kid playing more" etc. It's a royal pain. I even had one mother of a girl that pulled her kid off the team in the middle of a tournament (a huge, regional championship tournament where all the participants were champions of their respective States) because she didn't get the start in goal. Never mind the other girl was far more talented. This woman said it was unfair because my starting goalie already had a college scholarship lined up and I was preventing her daughter from getting exposure to the college coaches in attendance. ugh
Right now I'm coaching a very competitive 16U girls travel softball team. Id say "I've seen it all", but we both know that's not possible. I've learned not to let the parents take away from the focus........the kids having a good time and learning life skills.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Sports
Bookmark this Page!